Okay, I admit it—I’m an “everything, in moderation” kind of person because well … I love food. Secretly I think my multiple allergies are the universe’s way of keeping me in line; though I do eat the bad stuff sometimes. That being said, there are some foods I stay away from.
In fact, these foods belong in what some experts have coined “the six unhealthiest foods that you should avoid at all costs.”
1. Potato chips and French fries. Yes, people, unfortunately it made the list. I know, I know ...
McDonald’s fries and Jack-in-the-Box crispy curly fries are great, but fries in general contain acrylamide, which is a carcinogen (and neurotoxin) that’s formed when foods are fried or baked at high temperatures. It’s also a leading cause of two types of cancer-causing compounds.
2. Soda. Aside from the caffeine and sugar (one soda has approximately 9-10 teaspoons of sugar), soda is filled with sulphites, artificial sweeteners and food coloring, and too much of it can lead to reduced kidney function, weight-gain, tooth decay and diabetes for starters.
3. Canned soup. Did you know that most canned soups are filled with tons of sodium and monosodium glutamate (MSG)?It also has BPA (an endocrine disruptor bisphenol A) which is used to prevent corrosion. It’s best to make the homemade kind with fresh fruits and vegetables.
4. Doughnuts. You probably already know that doughnuts have no nutritional value, so this should come as no surprise. No matter how fancy-looking or “healthy” sounding the variety, in essence doughnuts are made from sugar, oil, fats and artificial flavors; its pure emotional comfort food that feeds the mind but not the body.
5. Luncheon meats. Most processed meats are filled with sodium nitrite, more MSG, and numerous artificial flavorings. Don’t get me wrong, I love hot dogs and make a mean homemade version. But if you’re going to eat it do so knowingly. For one thing, sodium nitrate is another cancer-causing ingredient that can lead to “increased risk of pancreatic cancer.” Look for the nitrite-free brands instead.
6. Coffee cake and baked goods. This one is a heart breaker because it includes ALL baked goods and packaged varieties. They usually have tons of preservatives, corn syrup, artificial flavors and coloring. Again, moderation or abstinence is recommended here, too .
Did one of your favorite foods make the list? Which ones do you absolutely refuse to live without and why? What are some other foods that you avoid?