Killeen chamber announces events
The Greater Killeen Chamber of Commerce has several upcoming events, including:
- Greater Killeen Young Professionals monthly social, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Texas Land and Cattle, free for GKYP members, $5 for nonmembers, the group will provide appetizers.
- Networking Power Hour, 11:45 a.m. Friday, Workforce Solutions of Central Texas, advance registration required, free for members, $10 for nonmembers, lunch is provided.
- Third Thursday Mixer for all chamber members, annual beer and barbecue mixer, 5:30 p.m. June 20, First National Bank Texas’ Trimmier Banking Center, free.
For more information, contact the chamber at (254) 526-9551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Deb Moore
Heights chamber announces events
The Harker Heights Chamber of Commerce has several upcoming events, including:
Ambassadors meeting, noon Wednesday.
- Bite the Bagel Cafe ribbon-cutting, 2 p.m. Wednesday, 480 E. Farm-to-Market 2410, Ste. 300, Harker Heights.
- Business workshop, JP Credit Repair, 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Central Texas Homebuilders Association building, 445 Central Texas Expressway, Harker Heights.
- Coffee Connection, 8:30 a.m. June 11, Armed Services YMCA, 100 E. Beeline, Harker Heights, hosted by Texas Star Bank.
- Business After-Hours Mixer, 5:30 p.m. June 12, hosted by Union State Bank, 345 Farm-to-Market 2410, Harker Heights.
- Board of directors meeting, 9 a.m. June 19, Harker Heights Chamber of Commerce boardroom.
- Women in Business, hosted by Any Lab Test Now, 5 to 7 p.m. June 28, Harker Heights Chamber of Commerce, 552 E. Farm-to-Market 2410.
For more information, call Jennifer Ciffra at (254) 699-4999.
— Deb Moore
Meeting on student ad competition planned for Friday
An informational meeting about the National Student Advertising Competition is scheduled to start at 11:45 a.m. Friday in the upstairs meeting space of the Bell County Expo Center in Belton.
Team advisers Lisa Troy, from Texas A&M University, and Mary Ann Stutts, from Texas State University, will discuss the competition, an annual contest conducted by the American Advertising Federation.
The cost to AAF members is $15, nonmembers, $20.
RSVP by noon Wednesday to email@example.com.
— Deb Moore
U.S. rate on 30-year mortgage rises
WASHINGTON — Average U.S. rates on fixed mortgages jumped this week to their highest levels in a year, signaling slightly higher costs for homebuyers. But rates still remain low by historical standards.
Mortgage buyer Freddie Mac said Thursday that the average rate for the 30-year loan rose to 3.81 percent, up from 3.59 percent last week. That’s still not far from the 3.31 percent rate reached in November, the lowest on records dating to 1971.
— The Associated Press