It’s not on the Rand McNally map, or shown in the updated Roads of Texas atlas. But Zabcikville does exist, at least the remnants of it.
Heading east out of Temple, State Highway 53, one of those ruler-straight roads, takes the driver through the hamlet of Seaton. Unencumbered by any scenic diversions, you’ll have journeyed about 10 miles from Temple when Green’s Sausage House and its parking lot, usually full of cars and pickups, appears on the south side of the road.
Across the highway from Green’s stands a restored old store with a Texas Historical Marker. Rich black agricultural land makes up the area and grain storage facilities stand in nearby cultivated fields. Traffic speeds by, the wind blows and — well, not much else is happening.
This place was first called Kocenda, then Lugoville, then Marekville — finally becoming known as Zabcikville when Frank Zabcik, of Moravian descent, purchased the saloon, general store, house and land. The stucco store building with the historical marker was built by Zabcik in 1932 and the community had a cafe, blacksmith, auto repair business, granary and the all-important requirement for small rural towns: a cotton gin. Times changed, the gin closed, and picnics at Possum Creek became fewer as people moved to the city. The town had 80 residents in 1949, 38 in 2000. The majority of the land acquired by Frank Zabcik is still owned by his descendants, and farming continues to be the driver of the local economy.
And it’s pronounced “Zahb-chick-ville.”