• October 1, 2014

Womanless fashion show to support child advocates

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:00 pm | Updated: 9:12 am, Thu Aug 16, 2012.

By Jackie Stone

The Cove Herald

The high heels will be on the other foot Saturday night as local men - including three city council members - take to the stage to raise money for the Children's Advocacy Center of Central Texas.

The annual Womanless Fashion Show is one source of private funding for the advocacy center, a non-profit organization that works with entities such as Child Protective Services and law enforcement in Bell and Coryell Counties to advocate for child victims of abuse.

"We receive about 55 percent of our $580,000 budget from state and federal grants. The rest, 45 percent, we have to fundraise in communities," said Michelle

Farrell, director of the center.

This year's models will walk the catwalk at the Copperas Cove Civic Center at 6 p.m. Saturday night. The city Parks and Recreation is co-sponsoring the event.

The models will include a police officer, council members, two models from Walmart, a CPS investigator and a high school principal.

Detective Lori Hix with the Copperas Cove Police Department is one of the organizers who has worked on the fashion show from the beginning. Hix said the most the show has raised in the past for the advocacy center is $10,000, and the least is $4,000.

"We raise money from everything," Hix said. "Everything that is in there is donated, all the way down to the civic center and the people who put the tables together."

The Children's Advocacy Center of Central Texas serves as a neutral site for law enforcement, advocates, civil servants and non-offending family members who are involved in the aftermath of a child abuse case. CAC employs trained interviewers who conduct interviews with children after a case of abuse is brought forward in order to limit the number of times a child has to retell the story.

"In the past there really wasn't a means to help them go through the system that didn't retraumatize them," Farrell said.

Hix, who works largely with crimes against children, said the non-profit streamlines the process and helps prevent cases in which the children shut down from having to repeat their stories to police, interviewers, CPS, lawyers and others.

The CAC of Central Texas also works to support children through the entire process from the intial interview, through treatments and trial testimony as necessary.

The children's advocacy center saw 425 kids last year.

Tickets for the fashion show may be purchased at Lil' Tex Restaurant in Copperas Cove or at the door for $10 for adults and $6 for children.

Dinner will be provided by Lil' Tex Restaurant, and entertainment will be provided by the Jon Holt Band.

Contact Jackie Stone at

jstone@kdhnews.com or (254) 501-7474. Follow her on Twitter at KDHcoveeditor.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

KDH Poll

Loading…
Bob Gilmore center announces activities
Posted: September 29, 2014

This month’s cook-off, anything with honey in it or honey on the side, starts at 11:15 a.m. today at the Bob Gilmore Senior Center. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.

more »
Bell County commissioners don’t renew burn ban
Posted: September 29, 2014

BELTON — Bell County commissioners took no action on reinstating the county burn ban at their meeting Monday.

more »

Featured Events