COPPERAS COVE — Texas Rangers are continuing an investigation of a Saturday fatal shooting involving a Copperas Cove police officer.

Justice of the Peace John Guinn confirmed Monday morning that a police officer was involved in the shooting of Kristopher Charles Gagliardi, 24, of Cove. Guinn pronounced Gagliardi dead at the scene in the 500 block of Westview Lane about 9:50 p.m. Saturday.

Cove police and the 52nd District Attorney’s Office also confirmed the incident later Monday, but wouldn’t discuss the case because Texas Rangers are still conducting their investigation.

It is typical for the DA’s office to be involved in a case like this, said Dusty Boyd, the district attorney, “because of the nature of the event.”

The Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Rangers are generally asked to assist on cases where officers have shot someone, Boyd said. And then the DA’s office, as with many cases, reviews the criminal charges if any, he said.

“It is to ensure that a proper investigation and method of investigation is done,” Boyd said.

“The Texas Ranger will forward his final report to my office and, based on his investigation, the appropriate charges could be presented to a grand jury or the DA’s office,” Boyd said.

Guinn said it appears the officer acted in self-defense, based on the preliminary investigation information given to him.

The officer responded to a domestic disturbance about 6:15 p.m. on Westview Lane, where Gagliardi allegedly barricaded himself in a home, Guinn said.

As Gagliardi came out of the residence, he allegedly approached the officer with a knife in his hand in a threatening manner. The officer reportedly moved back, but the man continued to advance.

Guinn said a knife was found near Gagliardi at the scene. The preliminary autopsy report performed by the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Science showed Gagliardi died from multiple gunshot wounds.

“Right now we are in that waiting period for (Texas Rangers) to complete their investigation, and once they do we will know a lot more,” Boyd said, noting his office may release further investigation details at a later time.

By press time Monday, Copperas Cove Police Department officials had not released the name of the officer involved in the shooting, and they had not stated what administrative actions, if any, were taken against the officer.

Contact Mason W. Canales at or (254) 501-7474

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.