By Jade Ortego
Fort Hood Herald
The Bell County Jail on Thursday awaited the arrival of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the man accused of opening fire at Fort Hood Nov. 5, killing 13 people and wounding 32.
The Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, which has housed Hasan since the incident, performed a discharge physical on the suspect Wednesday evening.
The 39-year-old Army psychiatrist was left paralyzed from the chest down due to gunshot wounds he suffered at the hands of a civilian police officer the day of the shooting.
Wednesday began the 183-day, $206,796 contract between Fort Hood and the county that included a 24-hour guard and updates to the jail infirmary.
As of Thursday afternoon, Dewey Mitchell, a spokesman for the hospital, said Hasan had not been moved.
"We won't really know until after it happens, and it hasn't happened," Mitchell said.
The jail would not confirm the move date, or that the jail had done the transfer paperwork.
"When (Sheriff Dan Smith) is ready to release any information, he'll notify the news media," said Candy Bolton, Smith's secretary.
Hasan was not listed on the jail's daily active inmate list online, and his attorney, John Galligan, said a jail representative told him Hasan was not on "their official list."
"It's not like they're moving John Gotti. This is a half-paralyzed man. You put him in the corner and he's not going anywhere," Galligan said. Galligan has been opposed to the transfer, stating that a better place for his client is a hospital.
On March 31, a military hearing officer granted Galligan's request to delay testimony at Hasan's Article 32 hearing until July 1. On June 1, the previously scheduled date, prosecutors will meet with Hasan's defense team at Fort Hood for a preliminary meeting. The hearing officer will also consider delaying testimony until October.
An Article 32 is similar to a grand jury proceeding in civilian law.
Contact Jade Ortego at email@example.com or (254) 501-7553.