Turnbull’s ‘memory will endure’ among Thunderbird Brigade

The Defense Department announced Oct. 19 the death of a Fort Hood soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Lyle D. Turnbull, 31, of Norfolk, Va., died Oct. 18 at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait. His cause of death is unknown and under investigation.

He entered active-duty service on March 19, 2002, as a multichannel transmissions systems operator maintainer. He arrived at Fort Hood in February 2010 and was assigned to 62nd Signal Battalion, 11th Signal Brigade.

Turnbull’s awards and decorations include three Army Commendation Medal, two Army Achievement Medals, three Meritorious Unit Citations, three Army Good Conduct Medals, the National Defense Service Medal, the Iraqi Campaign Medal (2 Campaign Stars), the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the NCO Professional Development Ribbon, the Army Service Ribbon, and five Overseas Service Ribbons.

“Staff Sgt. Turnbull was a highly esteemed non-commissioned officer,” said Col. James C. Parks III, brigade commander. “He was a great American soldier, an exceptional man, father and husband. We know that the soldiers, with whom Staff Sgt. Turnbull served, respected and loved him. No words can bring Lyle back, but his memory will endure throughout the history of the Messenger Battalion and the Thunderbird Brigade.”

Turnbull was posthumously promoted to the rank of staff sergeant. He will also be posthumously awarded the Army Commendation Medal, his fourth award and the Gold Order of Mercury.

Soldier dies in training accident

Fort Hood officials Oct. 23 released the name of a soldier who died in a training accident on post. It was the first military training death at Fort Hood in more than five years.

Staff Sgt. Leroy Jackson died following a military vehicle accident Oct. 18 at Fort Hood.

The death was a result of an accident involving a Humvee, and there were no other injuries, said Tyler Broadway, spokesman for III Corps. Jackson’s death is under investigation.

The last training exercise death at Fort Hood was Oct. 9, 2008, at the railhead, Broadway said.

Jackson, 46, of New Orleans, was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, since 2005. He joined the Army as an infantryman in 1998.

His awards and decorations include three Army Commendation Medals, Army Achievement Medal, two National Defense Service Medals, two Army Good Conduct Medals, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with campaign star, Iraqi Campaign Medal with campaign star, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, Armed Forces Reserve Medal with M device, Combat Infantry Badge, Expert Infantry Badge, Air Assault Badge and the Driver and Mechanic Badge.

Jackson deployed a total of five times to Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a Fort Hood news release.

Soldier’s Article 32 probe continues

An Article 32 investigation continues for a Fort Hood soldier charged with murder and the intent to commit murder in September, Fort Hood officials said Thursday.

Sgt. Brett Marvin Wessell, 26, is no longer in pretrial confinement pending the findings and recommendations of the investigation. An Article 32 hearing has not been scheduled.

His charges are in connection with the death of retired Sgt. Ryan F. Dickinson at a West Fort Hood residence Sept. 1, a Fort Hood release stated last month.

Wessel, of Leavenworth, Kan., joined the Army in July 2008 and is assigned to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.

Cause of fire in Pershing Park unclear

A person of interest was apprehended in connection with an August fire that destroyed a duplex in Fort Hood’s Pershing Park.

A Fort Hood Fire Department investigation concluded the Aug. 17 fire on Yeakel Street started in a vehicle parked outside the home, Fort Hood officials said. The cause was undetermined.

Fort Hood police continue to investigate.

Though someone was apprehended, the person was not charged, officials said.

Herald staff reports

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.