• November 28, 2014

New judge won’t challenge Hasan’s beard

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:30 am | Updated: 2:13 pm, Thu Jan 23, 2014.

The logjam in court proceedings for Maj. Nidal Hasan appeared to clear Tuesday morning with a newly appointed judge’s decision not to challenge Hasan’s decision to wear a beard.

Col. Tara Osborn addressed the matter at the end of her first hearing in the case against the accused shooter in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack at Fort Hood.

Osborn noted that Hasan was in violation of military appearance regulations. She then asked Hasan several questions about his decision to grow a beard.

Hasan appeared in court with a noticeably longer, bushy, gray-and-black beard. As in previous hearings, he was dressed in an Army Combat Uniform and a green beanie.

After Hasan told the court he voluntarily and freely chose to grow a beard, Osborn did not make an order to have him shaved.

“I’m not going to hold that against you, but some people on the panel may have issues,” she said.

Osborn then requested lead defense attorney Lt. Col. Kris Poppe draft an instruction for the panel. It would likely tell jurors to disregard Hasan’s appearance in a decision on a verdict.

Her ruling also may eliminate the need to take up motions based on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which challenged the order to have Hasan forcibly shaved, citing the free practice of religion.

Pre-trial hearings for the 42-year-old Army psychiatrist resumed Tuesday after military appeals courts halted proceedings on Sept. 21, when ousted judge Col. Gregory Gross ordered Hasan forcibly shaved.

The order eventually resulted in his removal from the case by the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, on the basis that it had created a perception of bias in the case. In it’s ruling, the court stated the issue created a “battle of wills” between Gross and the defense.

On the same day of the ruling, the Army worked to appoint Osborn to the case. She is the chief circuit judge at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Defense questions

Tuesday’s hearing opened with the defense asking Osborn several questions to gauge whether they had any challenges to her appointment to the case.

Osborn told the defense she had very little knowledge of the case and had been exposed to minimal news reports since the Nov. 5, 2009, incident that left 13 dead and dozens injured.

Osborn said she had no exposure to any memorial services following the shooting, had not heard any comments made by President Barack Obama regarding Hasan and had not seen any of the Article 32 transcript.

After asking Osborn 25 questions, the defense told Osborn they had no objections to her presiding over the case.

Though hearings will move forward, the new judge will have to retread several issues that arose in hearings leading up to Hasan’s court-martial, which was scheduled to begin Aug. 20.

Motions

The defense told the court they had seven motions they wished to revisit because of new evidence and 14 additional motions they wished to relitigate.

Those included a request for moving the trial off Fort Hood, an objection to testimony from a terrorism expert who called Hasan a “home-grown terrorist,” and the refusal of the Army to provide evidence obtained through secret intelligence gathering methods.

The prosecution also asked the court to take up a motion on the admissibility of telephone calls and transcripts likely from Bell County Jail, where Hasan has remained since April 2010.

The judge ordered the defense to prepare a schedule based on what motions they saw as the highest priority, which will be delivered to the judge by Dec. 28.

Poppe said discovery motions concerned him the most.

Osborn said she will then decide when pre-trial hearings will take place in January.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

3 comments:

  • wiseman1973 posted at 6:40 pm on Sat, Dec 22, 2012.

    wiseman1973 Posts: 2

    Very smart move on the judge. Let him show up with a beard and a little beanie looking all Jihad in a Army Combat Uniform. Sure this will give him a fair trial from the jury being that 95% of the Army do not care for his Religion.

     
  • Mamma Griz posted at 4:37 pm on Wed, Dec 19, 2012.

    Mamma Griz Posts: 257

    He is growing his beard in hopes that the witnesses called to the stand will say that they can't positively identify him-- after all, he was clean-shaven at the time. But who can forget the evil eyes. Religion? No, the beard is just to hide his true identity. He is sly as a fox and all that he has pulled proves it. And he is getting his way. Oh well, this is the New Army.

     
  • Eliza posted at 11:35 am on Wed, Dec 19, 2012.

    Eliza Posts: 868

    Although I think the man deserves no rights since he is a cowardly murderer.
    Leaving him wear his beard ,is Probably, a good move by the judge once you think of it.
    Nearly everyone of the murdering terrorist who have wanted to kill innocent people have had this beard as their trademark. Each time he's looked at by anyone, It will be hard to forget what this man was and is (although now, he's not as brave as he felt he was, when he decided to do his duty Nov 9,2009 as a SOA ,by killing unarmed unaware innocent people.) Otherwise he wouldn't be fighting so hard to save his skin .

     

Ft Hood Events

Military Videos