Law enforcement officials alert motorists that Fort Hood is locked down April 2 after a shooting on post that left four dead and 16 wounded.

Through witness interviews, witness statement analysis, forensics, bullet trajectory analysis and an extensive crime scene examination and recreation, investigators determined the following sequence of event’s in last week’s shooting that left four dead and 16 wounded.

The shootings began around 4 p.m. April 2, when Spc. Ivan A. Lopez was involved in a verbal altercation regarding a request for leave and the processing of that request at his unit’s administration office.

The verbal altercation began at Building 39001, located at the intersection of 72nd Street and Tank Destroyer Boulevard. Within minutes of the altercation Lopez brandished his weapon, a .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun, and fired multiple rounds killing one soldier and wounding 10 others.

The soldier killed and at least one of the wounded was involved in the verbal altercation with Lopez before the shooting.

Lopez then exited the building through a door on the south side and entered his vehicle, which he drove westbound until turning north on 73rd Street.

According to witness statements, Lopez traveled “very slowly” northbound in a southbound lane, firing his weapon from the vehicle at two soldiers standing behind the building, one of whom was wounded.

Lopez then continued north until turning west on Motor Pool Road and into the parking lot of Building 40027, where he exited the vehicle. He entered the building that houses the motor pool office and vehicle bay area, where Lopez was assigned and worked.

Lopez opened fire, killing one soldier in the motor pool office. Lopez then moved to the vehicle bay area, where he wounded two more soldiers before returning to his vehicle and driving eastbound on Motor Pool Road toward 73rd Street.

While driving eastbound, Lopez allegedly fired into the front windshield of a vehicle traveling westbound that was occupied by two soldiers. The bullet struck and wounded the passenger in the car.

Lopez then turned north and then east into the parking lot of the Medical Brigade Building 33026, where he fired from his vehicle and wounded another soldier in the parking lot. Lopez then exited his vehicle and entered the main entrance of the Medical Brigade Building, where he allegedly shot and killed the soldier on duty at the main entrance and wounded another.

Leaving the building, Lopez re-entered his vehicle and headed south on 72nd Street, turning east into the front parking lot of Building 39002. There he again exited the vehicle and walked east across the parking lot, where he was approached by a Fort Hood military police officer responding to the event.

There was a verbal exchange between the officer and Lopez. The military police officer drew her weapon and fired one round when the subject brandished his weapon. Lopez then took his own life.

The rampage lasted about eight minutes from when the first 911 call was received until Lopez killed himself.

Fort Hood was locked down from 4:43 p.m. until about 8:30 p.m. April 2.

As of Tuesday afternoon, three of the wounded remained hospitalized, two at Scott & White Hospital in Temple and the other at Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center. Officials said 11 of the 16 wounded are back on active duty.

Contact Natalie Stewart at or 254-501-7555

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.