To participate in the Sportsmen’s Center Big Bass Contest or fish in any of Fort Hood’s ponds, rivers and streams, soldiers are required to show not only a Texas fishing license but also a Fort Hood fishing permit as well as an Area Access Card.

Fishing permits cost $15 and can only be purchased from the Sportsmen’s Center.

“A portion of it is for administrative costs, but the majority of the money collected from the fishing permits buys the fish that actually go into the pond,” said Judy Johnson, Sportsmen’s Center manager.

Anyone wishing to hunt or fish in Texas is required by law to have an up-to-date state hunting or fishing license.

Soldiers with at least six months of residency are eligible for a free “Super Combo” state hunting and fishing license.

No Fort Hood fishing permit or Area Access Permit is required if a person is fishing the waters of Belton Lake within the confines of the Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area.

A state fishing license is required, however. And only a state license and Area Access Card is required to fish the waters of Belton Lake adjacent to Training Area 8 East of Curry Crossing.

“But if you want to do the ponds, creeks and rivers on Fort Hood property, you need the Fort Hood fishing permit,” Johnson said.

For more information, call the Sportsmen’s Center at (254) 532-4552.

Contact Kevin Posival at or (254) 501-7562

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.