By Lisa Youngblood
Bookmarks from the Library
With Valentine's Day coming up, love is in the air. We think about everyone and everything that is important to us. Luckily, this is a perfect time to remember how much you love your library. A library provides books, DVDs, computer access, research assistance, audiobooks, technology and more, and all you need is a library card to receive these Valentine's gifts every day.
You can show your love for libraries in many ways.
1. Volunteer - The Harker Heights Public Library is always in need of adults and teenagers to help with programs, displays and more. During the summer, children are invited to donate their time, too.
2. Join the Friends of the Harker Heights Public Library - The Friends organization is a group of volunteers who work to provide funding for and assistance with a variety of programs. The Friends group holds used book sales throughout the year, provide a half price Scholastic Book Sale in the summer, provide books for preschoolers during our Harker Heights Children's Book Week in November of each year, and volunteer for programs.
3. Donate books, DVDs and audiobooks - The Harker Heights Public Library and Friends group are glad to accept books and other items either to be placed in the library's collection or to be sold at the Friends' book sales.
4. Donate funds to the Friends or to the library - Monetary donations are always welcome. Funds are often added together for larger purchases, such as the new Nook e-readers that are currently available for circulation by patrons. The Friends organization and library also accept monetary donations to be used to memorialize or honor individuals.
5. Visit the library - Enjoy all that the library has to offer. Use the variety of services, programs and collections available to you.
If you have any questions about volunteering, donating or using library services, call (254) 953-5492 for more information.
We look forward to seeing you at the library all through the year.
Lisa Youngblood is director of the Harker Heights Public Library.