The Harker Heights Police Department has vehicle burglaries on its radar.
The crime became a noticeable trend, Sgt. Roosevelt Wilson Jr. said, when six burglaries were reported between 10 p.m. Feb. 4 and noon. Feb. 5 at the Big Oaks Mobile Home Park in the 500 block of East Veterans Memorial Boulevard.
“All vehicles were found to be unsecured,” Wilson said. “Items taken ranged from cash to a TomTom GPS.”
Perpetrators also made off with iPods and cellphones that were left in plain sight.
The department’s Special Operations unit noted the center consoles and glove boxes were rifled through, but there were no signs of forced entry into the vehicles.
“From all signs, the suspect or suspects were just pulling on doors to see which cars were open,” Wilson said. “Don’t leave valuables in your car where they can be seen and make sure your car is locked up before you go to bed.”
Wilson advises people to always lock their vehicles. If vehicles are not locked, thieves are invited to open up and take a look inside. “This is one of those common sense crimes that can be avoided,” he said.
Police have not yet made any arrests related to these incidents. Anyone with information about the crimes can call the police department at (254) 953-5400.
Harker Heights police also indicated:
- An assault with bodily injury was reported at 1:37 p.m. Feb. 6 in the 1100 block of End-O-Trail.
- Possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana was reported at 7:15 a.m. Feb. 8 along Broken Arrow Drive and Fuller Lane.
- An assault with bodily injury was reported at 7:25 a.m. Feb. 8 in the 400 block of South Mary Joe Drive.
- A criminal mischief complaint was reported at 1 a.m. Feb. 9 in the 700 block of Paintbrush Drive.
- A criminal trespass complaint was reported at 10:27 a.m. Feb. 9 in the 200 block of East Kathy Road.
- A criminal mischief complaint was reported at 11:54 a.m. Feb. 9 in the 1600 block of Fox Trail.
- A criminal mischief complaint was reported at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 9 in the 100 block of East Arlo Road.
- A physical assault was reported at 11:43 p.m. Feb. 9 in the 1400 block of Indian Trail Drive.
- A verbal assault was reported at 9:56 p.m. Feb. 10 in the 100 block of Turbo Road.
- A burglary of a vehicle was reported at noon Feb. 10 in the 100 block of Rustler Circle.
- A shopping theft was reported at 3:22 p.m. Feb. 10 at a department store in the 200 block of East Central Texas Expressway.
- A theft from a motor vehicle was reported at 10:30 p.m. Feb. 10 in the 2300 block of Indian Trail Drive.
- A burglary was reported at a liquor store at 8:30 p.m. Feb. 10 in the 500 block of West Veterans Memorial Blvd.