NOLANVILLE — Police have identified the three family members killed in a Nolanville house fire Wednesday.

Sherry Hines, 85, Denise Hines, 46 and Skylar Hines-Little, 19, died in a fire in the 400 block of North Fourth Street in Nolanville. They were pronounced dead by Justice of the Peace Bill Cooke around 1 p.m. Wednesday.

All three were residents of the home, which is a total loss, according to police. Sherry Hines was the mother of Denise Hines and grandmother of Hines-Little, police said.

Arson is not expected to be the cause of the fire, according to Paul Ayres, an investigator with the state fire marshal’s office. The cause has not been determined yet.

“We’re still really early in this, very actively digging out the scene,” Ayres said.

The fire was “definitely started from within the house,” according to Ayres. It began on the right side of the house, and spread throughout the entire structure.

“Unless we have any indication that it is arson, we don’t pursue that route,” Ayres said.

A family dog and a cat also died in the blaze, according to Nolanville police Chief Daniel Porter. A 16-year-old boy also lived at the home, but was at school when the fire happened, Porter said.

One neighbor said Sherry Hines operated a day care out of her home 40 years ago. Another neighbor said Denise Hines was active in her church and her children’s schools, and once attended culinary school.

Pictures shared on Facebook and the GoFundMe page for the family’s funeral show Hines-Little working on the sidelines of various Harker Heights High School sporting events.

“Sherry was trusted with my most precious daughter ... from the time she was 6 weeks old until after she started school,” Terrie Jackson wrote on the GoFundMe page. “Sherry was so kind, loving and supportive and I know they will all be greatly missed. Words alone cannot suffice in a tragedy like this.”

Firefighters responded to the fire, and it took about 20 to 30 minutes to get the fire under control before firefighters could enter the building.

Two firefighters from the Central Bell County Volunteer Fire Department suffered injuries from heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation, according to Porter, and were treated on scene.

Ammunition stored in the home was exploding due to the fire, Porter said, which provided another level of danger for first-responders.

Two cars outside of the home also suffered damage from the fire.

The Bell County fire marshal and state fire marshal’s office are involved in the investigation because the fire resulted in death. | 254-501-7552

254-501-7552 |

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.