Criminal mischief is increasing in Harker Heights as summer months draw near, according to the Harker Heights Police Department.
At least five criminal mischief complaints were reported in the city last week, said Sgt. Roosevelt Wilson Jr., police spokesman.
“Crimes like these normally pick up, especially criminal mischief, because it gets dark later and kids are out more,” he said. “These were crimes of opportunity where the subjects look for accessible targets and took advantage of what they saw.”
A criminal mischief complaint was reported at 9 p.m. May 1 in the 800 block of Snow Bird Drive. Suspects used a BB gun to damage windows of a residence. The second criminal mischief complaint was reported at 7:33 p.m. May 3 in the 1500 block of Maya Trail, where suspects used a weapon to damage property at a storage building.
Another criminal mischief complaint was reported at 10:52 p.m. May 3 at Mountain View Elementary. Suspects used a weapon to damage the exterior brick wall and spray painted graffiti.
Criminal mischief was also reported at 8:40 p.m. May 1 in the 1500 block of Maya Trail. Suspects left graffiti and used a weapon to damage a front door. A similar case was reported at 10:38 a.m. May 2 in the 1500 block of Maya Trail.
Police have not determined if the crimes are related.
Police also indicated:
- A burglary of a vehicle was reported at 7:30 a.m. April 29 in the 100 block of Shawnee Trail. Suspects took a phone charger, iPhone cord, visor holder, knife and vehicle registration.
- A burglary of a vehicle was reported at 9:45 a.m. April 29 in the 500 block of Wallaby Circle. Suspects took 15-inch subwoofers, a pocketknife, sunglasses, CDs and an iPhone charger.
- A burglary of a vehicle was reported at 8:30 a.m. April 29 in the 1900 block of Jaguar Circle. Suspects took a GPS, sunglasses and a school ID.
- A burglary was reported at 10 a.m. April 29 at a business in the 500 block of West Veterans Memorial Boulevard. Suspects took an air compressor, battery charger, jump starter, floor jacks and a Compaq laptop.
- A theft was reported at 11 a.m. April 30 in the 100 block of Ball Road.
- A theft was reported at 6:46 a.m. May 2 in the 200 block of Clore Road. Suspects siphoned gas from a vehicle.
- A theft was reported at 3:40 p.m. May 2 in the 200 block of East Valley Road. Two female suspects allegedly stole mail from a home.
- A theft was reported at 7:06 p.m. May 5 in the 900 block of Rattlesnake Road. Suspects took a wallet with miscellaneous items.
- A theft was reported at 2:45 a.m. May 5 in the 300 block of West Veterans Memorial Blvd. A suspect allegedly took an iPod from a victim.