“Eat your breakfast! It’s the most important meal of the day!”
Breakfast is the way to go! Studies show adults who skip breakfast are more likely to have a higher body mass index, or BMI, which is a sign of being overweight or obese.
On the other hand, adults who eat breakfast daily are more likely to participate in physical activity and tend to eat healthier overall throughout the day.
Tomorrow morning, instead of running out the door on an empty stomach, try fueling up with a healthy breakfast.
Here are a few quick and easy ideas to incorporate breakfast into you morning!
• Toast two whole wheat waffles-add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and half a banana. Stick waffles together for portability!
• Toast a whole-grain English muffin and add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and a drizzle of honey. Another option is to cover each half with 2 ercent cheese.
• Grab a stick of 2 percent string cheese, whole wheat crackers and a banana.
• Create a breakfast taco by shredding 2 percent cheddar cheese on 2 corn tortillas. Pop in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
• Throw a high-quality breakfast bar made by Kashi, Nature’s Valley or Cliff Bar in your bag!
• Spoon ½ cup Greek yogurt, ½ cup fruit and ¼ cup granola in a cup to make a parfait.
• Mix together ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese and ½ cup berries.
• Add 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter to a package of low-sugar oatmeal (can also use steel cut oats or regular oats).
• Eat 2 hard-boiled eggs (yolks optional) peeled the night before with a piece of fruit.
• Snack on ¾ cup whole grain, high-fiber cereal along with fruit. If time allows, eat your cereal with ½ cup high-protein milk, such as Mootopia.
Carey Stites is a certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor and a Registered Dietitian with a master’s degree in nutrition. Carey is currently the Registered Dietitian working with Wellstone in Harker Heights. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.