Killeen vs. Stony Point
Killeen’s Daniel McCants carries the ball against Round Rock Stony Point during Thursday’s game at the Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex in Austin.
- By the numbers
- 137.3 — Average rushing yards per game for Killeen RB Daniel McCants.
- 30 — Length, in minutes, of lightning delay at Thursday’s Killeen game.
- 6 — Consecutive road losses for Belton after Friday’s 44-15 loss at Round Rock.
- 97 — Rushing yards Friday for Belton, which had at least one 100-yard rusher in its first two games.
- 141 — Penalty yards by Belton in Friday’s loss.
- This week
- Copperas Cove (2-1) at Killeen (0-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday (Hood Stadium): This is the second annual meeting between the two teams after both moved to District 8-5A in 2012. Last year, Cove beat the Roos 64-28 at Bulldawg Stadium. The Dawgs have extended their prolific offense into this year, as quarterback Manny Harris averages 390 passing yards a game. Running back Daniel McCants, who averages 6.3 yards a carry and has six touchdowns this season, looks to lead Killeen into the win column after nail-biting defeats to Leander Vandegrift and Round Rock Stony Point.
- Temple (1-2) at Shoemaker (2-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday (Buckley Stadium): Temple has lost two in a row and visits a hot Shoemaker team fresh off an impressive victory against Stony Point before the bye.
- Harker Heights (0-3) at Belton (0-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday: Both teams come in looking for their first win. Heights topped Belton in a 7-0 slugfest last season.
- Ellison (0-3) at Waco Midway (2-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday: Ellison has a chance for a landmark win as Midway hasn’t lost a district game since 2011, and the Eagles haven’t won any game since 2010.
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 4:30 am
Updated: 9:01 am, Fri Nov 29, 2013.
Killeen rocked Stony Point for season highs of 521 total yards and 21 first downs, but 13 penalties backpedaled the team 133 yards, and the Roos (0-3) watched their three-quarter lead slip away.
Driving in opposing territory with an 18-14 lead and less than two minutes remaining in the first half, Killeen had a chance to tighten its stranglehold on the Tigers (3-1).
Or, use your
Monday, September 23, 2013 4:30 am.
Updated: 9:01 am.