During the 2014 season, the Belton Lady Tigers routinely sprayed hits all over the field and launched home run shots past outfield walls en route to a District 8-5A championship.
Belton made it to the Region I-5A area playoffs and landed three players on the Killeen Daily Herald’s Softball All-Area First Team.
Skylar Stewart was the team’s leading hitter with a .474 average to go along with 46 RBIs and nine home runs. Stewart was the district’s Offensive MVP this season.
Alyson Bishoff hit .471 with a team best 49 RBIs, nine homers and 13 doubles to go along with a .994 fielding percentage in 34 games. The senior first baseman was an all-district first-team selection.
Bekah Alcozer rounds out the Lady Tiger first-team trio after hitting .469 with 23 RBIs and three homers. The junior left fielder was an all-district first-team selection.
After coming within one game of the UIL State Softball Tournament, the Lampasas Lady Badgers duo of Alyssa and Marisa Maldonado made it to the KDH All-Area First Team.
Alyssa, a sophomore infielder, hit .488 with 53 RBIs, 20 doubles and nine homers. She was the District 8-3A Co-Offensive Player of the Year.
Marisa hit .482 with 35 RBIs and 14 extra-base hits. The junior infielder was a first-team all-district selection.
After helping the Copperas Cove Lady Bulldawgs end a four-year postseason drought, outfielder Elliana Doubleday is an All-Area First-Team selection. Doubleday hit .422 with 11 RBIs and stole 23 bases and made the all-district first team.
Harker Heights senior catcher Regan McIlvenna earned First-Team All-Area honors after hitting .382 and accumulating an on-base-plus-slugging percentage of 1.055. McIlvenna was a first-team all-district selection.
Gatesville’s McKenzie Winkler helped the Lady Hornets earn their second consecutive playoff berth. Winkler is on the All-Area First Team. Winkler hit .318 with 18 RBIs and had an on-base plus slugging percentage of 1.571 while earning all-District 8-3A honors.
Salado senior Shyenne Hicks helped the Lady Eagles to the best season in school history, advancing to withing a game of the UIL Class 2A State Softball Tournament. The Texas A&M-Kingsville signee drove in a Class 2A state-record 80 RBIs and was the District 22-2A Co-Defensive Player of the Year.
After helping the Florence Lady Buffs make their first playoff appearance in school history, sophomore Mackenzie Futrell made the All-Area First Team. As a pitcher and second baseman, Futrell was 8-6 with a 2.63 ERA and hit .400 with 20 RBIs and 14 extra-base hits.
Futrell was an all-district first-team selection.
2014 KDH ALL-AREA SOFTBALL TEAM
- MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Morgan Hill, Sr., P, Salado
- OFFENSIVE MVP: Malory Schattle, So., SS, Salado
- DEFENSIVE MVP: Sidney Holman, So., P, Belton
- PITCHER OF THE YEAR: Carlee Duran, Jr., Copperas Cove
- NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: Kloe Corbin, Fr., Lampasas
- BEKAH ALCOZER, OF, Belton, Jr.
- ALYSON BISHOFF, 1B, Belton, Sr.
- ELLIANA DOUBLEDAY, OF, Copperas Cove, Sr.
- MACKENZIE FUTRELL, 2B, Florence, Sophomore
- SHYENNE HICKS, 1B, Salado, Sr.
- REGAN MCILVENNA, C, Harker Heights, Sr.
- ALYSSA MALDONADO, SS, Lampasas, Sophomore
- MARISA MALDONADO, 3B, Lampasas, Jr.
- SKYLAR STEWART, OF, Belton, Jr.
- MCKENZIE WINKLER, DH, Gatesville, So.
- Reagan Best, Salado
- Josie Norman, Salado
- Kristen Oakes, Salado
- Irene Espinoza, Copperas Cove
- Autumn Hughes, Copperas Cove
- Emily Gray, Florence
- Samantha Vaughn, Florence
- Dusti Douglas, Ellison
- Kennedy Connell, Ellison
- Laryn Brinkman, Shoemaker
- Megan Sittner, Lampasas
- Blake Webb, Lampasas
Clay Whittington contributed to this story.