Salado 2014 graduates Casey Frazier, Cole Haag and Britton Hawes were each recognized by the Texas Sports Writers Association Class 2A All-State Baseball Team.
Frazier earned third-team honors. Haag and Hawes were each honorable mention recipients.
“I’ve been very fortunate to coach all three of them and I’m proud for any recognition they get,” said Salado head coach Chad Krempin.
Both Frazier and Hawes had ERAs below 1.00.
Haag was the Eagles’ superb catcher and consistent No. 3 hitter.
The trio were the backbone of an Eagles team which made the Elite Eight in 2014 and the state semifinals in 2013. Hawes will pitch for Texas Lutheran University. Haag and Frazier will both play for the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor.
Ever the coach, always supportive of his players, Krempin did express some disappointment with regard to the TSWA’s placement of Frazier and Hawes.
“That Casey made just third-team is hard to understand,” Krempin said. “Are those first-team and second-team pitchers all better than Casey? No way. Casey lost about three or four games in his three-year high school career. He’s won about 35 games.
“His ERA has been under 1.00 his entire career. It’s hard for me to understand why he wouldn’t make the first or second team. And Britton is certainly more deserving of honorable mention.
“And our team has been well recognized. We’ve been ranked in the top five week in and week out the last two seasons.
“But the bottom line is this: I’m very honored to have coached Casey, Britton and Cole and I’m very proud of them for being recognized.”
2014 TSWA CLASS 2A ALL-STATE TEAM
BRYAN — Here is the Texas Sports Writers Association’s Class 2A All-State Baseball Team.
- Pitchers—Dylan Moore, Hughes Springs, sr.; (tie) Jake Wilcox, Sunnyvale, sr.; Zach Epperson, Troy, jr.; and Nathan Hawkins, Sunnyvale, soph.
- Catcher—Dyllan Kerr, Hallettsville, sr.
- First baseman—Chase Goldwater, Grandview, sr.
- Second baseman—Kyle Whitley, Troy, sr.
- Shortstop—Slaten Gough, Brock, sr.
- Third baseman—Kleat Smith, Idalou, sr.
- Outfielders—Garrett Powers, Wall, sr.; Jourden Stanley, Marion, sr.; (tie) Justin Bundy, Edgewood, sr.; Caeman Mayfield, East Bernard, sr.; and Braden Murphy, Crawford, jr.
- Utility—Garrett Fulenchek, Howe, sr.
- Designated hitter—Trenton Gardner, Reagan County, sr.
- Player of the Year—Wilcox, Sunnyvale.
- Coach of the Year—Tim Arden, Sunnyvale
- Pitchers—Weston Seay, Hallettsville, jr.; Chris Howard, Eastland, sr.; and Kyle Hlavinka, East Bernard, sr.
- Catcher—J.T. Newton, Bangs, sr.
- First baseman—Elijah Cross, Sonora, jr.
- Second baseman—(tie) Jamin Lira, Bishop, sr. and Collin Isbell, Idalou, soph.
- Shortstop—(tie) J.D. Coffee, Eastland, sr. and Kyle Gray, Blanco, jr.
- Third baseman—(tie) Logan Allen, Holliday, sr. and Neil Adcock, Grandview, jr.
- Outfielders—Mike Cochran, Redwater, sr.; Michael Evans, Cameron Yoe, sr.; and Colter Cornelius, Bushland, sr.
- Utility—Gavin Fritz, Rogers, sr.
- Designated hitter—Lane Oliver, Wall, jr.
- Pitchers—Casey Frazier, Salado, sr.; Peyton Brown, Wall, sr.; and Kaleb Kirk, Garrison, sr.
- Catcher—(tie) Darby Thornton, Idalou, sr. and Wesley Phillips, Sunnyvale, sr.
- First baseman—Chad Kellermeier, Wall, sr.
- Second baseman—(tie) Andrew Russell, Garrison, jr.; Taylor Cornelius, Bushland, sr.; and Grant Aschenbeck, East Bernard, sr.
- Shortstop—Cameron Rodriguez, Garrison, sr.
- Third baseman—(tie) Jake Mijares, Banquete, soph., and Peyton Person, Florence, sr.
- Outfielders—Cory Edwards, Holliday, sr.; Carson Skala, Rogers, sr.; (tie) Zach Sperry, Idalou, jr. and Tyler Castellano, Refugio, jr.
- Utility—(tie) Hunter Vansau, Crawford, sr. and Chad McKinney, Hughes Springs, sr.
- Designated hitter—Seth Metzger, Sunnyvale, soph.
Pitchers—Britton Hawes, Salado, sr.
Catchers—Cole Haag, Salado, sr.