AUSTIN — Despite 300 total rushing yards, the Roos came up 1 yard short in overtime.

On fourth-and-one at Stony Point’s 6 yard line, Garrett Gaskamp lowered his shoulders and pounded the right line, but fell inches short of the first down marker.

“I figured they were going to run the football, but I told our secondary, ‘Guys, they could throw the ball deep,’” said Stony Point coach Craig Chessher. “We tried to fill up all the gaps, and we had a guy stutter a little bit, and we rallied to the football.”

“I thought (our) offensive line did good,” Killeen coach Sam Jones said. “An offensive line has got to be able to make one yard. We got to be able to do it at crunch time.”

Five plays prior, Marcel Donasso’s 43-yard kick narrowly cleared the crossbar to put the Tigers up 36-33 on Stony Point’s first overtime possession.

It was a long night, as both teams battled a 30-minute lightning delay at the start of the second quarter. Daniel McCants ran through, around and past the Tigers, racking up 230 yards on 28 carries.

The Roos only needed 2 minutes and 2 seconds to score on their first drive, as Garrett Gaskamp completed long third-down passes across the middle to Dominic Dungca and Keondre Parker. On his second carry, McCants ran untouched off the right tackle for 28 yards. Killeen led 6-0.

On the next possession, Stony Point drove to Killeen’s 32-yard line, before Damian Lindley’s low pass was broken up in the end zone on fourth down.

The Roos capped the next nine-play, four-minute drive, with a clean 22-yard McCants touchdown run up the right gut. To get there, Gaskamp pouched consecutive third down completions of 23 and 13 yards to Dungca. The Roos converted all five third downs through the game’s first two drives, and led 12-0.

Stony Point struck just before the lightning delay on a 67-yard pass from Lindley to Dejour Williams, bringing the score to 12-7 with 9:43 left in the first half.

After returning to the field, the Roos drove from their 10 to the opponents’ 6 before Stony Point recovered a fumble.

Six plays later, Javon McCray scooped up a Lindley fumble on the 40, taking it to the house unscathed.

Killeen’s 18-7 lead vanished as Jeremy Carr sprinted 97 yards down the right sideline on the ensuing kickoff, bringing Stony Point within four pounts. Killeen led 18-14 at half.

With 6:34 left in the third quarter, McCants hit a left-side blocker, spun left, and ran for a 90-yard score.

Stony Point again scored quickly as Aidan Barrera ran for a 36-yard touchdown on a 29-second drive.

With 6:15 remaining in the game, Stony Point got its first lead — 26-25 — on a clear Lindley 7-yard pass to Carr in the right side of the end zone.

Killeen returned the favor on a 5 minute, 14 second drive. Gaskamp gained 13 yards on a fourth-and-1 on an option keeper, after juking a Stony Point defender on the line of scrimmage. A 38-yard swing pass to the right gave Keondre Parker a clear path to the end zone. On the two-point try, defenders pursued a back-peddling Gaskamp for 10 yards, before he threw across his body and across the field to hit Tyrese Taylor. The Roos led 33-26.

The Tigers overcame two holding calls on the ensuing drive. On second-and-25 on the Killeen 28, Barrera threw to Carr down the middle of the field for a touchdown. A Donasso kick brought the teams into overtime.

The game lasted 3½ hours.

“Our kids will bounce back,” Jones said. “They haven’t quit on me. All you see is fight out of them. As long as they keep fighting, we got a chance.”

Contact Brian Bradley at or (254) 501-7567

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.