By Nick Talbot

The Cove Herald

Alyson Sinclair laid face down in the grass and pounded the ground with her fists.

It was that kind of night.

The Lady Bulldawg senior forward just missed wide of the goal with four minutes left in overtime.

She wasn't alone in her agony, though.

Neither Ellison nor Copperas Cove could connect on any of their opportunities in overtime Monday and tied 2-2 at Avenue E Field in Copperas Cove.

"We just have to get our girls focused on what they really want," said Copperas Cove coach Hagen Streckel. "Ellison wanted the second half more than we did. They played inspired ball, but I was also really impressed with our effort in overtime.

"We pressured and pressured. I wanted to see if we had heart and we proved we had heart."

In regulation, Ellison (6-9-5, 2-5-3 12-5A) dominated the second half and Copperas Cove (10-11-2, 4-5-1) dominated the first.

The Lady Bulldawgs maintained possession for nearly the entire first half, outshooting the Lady Eagles 15-2.

They took the lead when Amanda Arrisola hit a long through pass to Sincalir, who popped it up high and over the Ellison goal keeper.

A minute later, she had another breakaway opportunity as she raced down the sideline but could not connect in stride with Jessica Vick.

Cove missed on several other opportunities before finally scoring with 4:15 left in the first half.

Vick popped a shot from the corner only to see it blocked back right in front of her.

She then kicked it hard back at the Lady Eagles' goal only to see it blocked again. This time, though, it landed right in front of Cove teammate Cheyenne Huereque, who knocked it into the back of the net.

In the second half, Ellison went on the attack.

In the opening minute, Alyssa Conde scored off a corner kick from Mikayla Wozniak to cut the lead in half.

With 12 minutes left, she scored again.

This time she broke free after popping a kick off a defender and then outrunning her to the goal to tie the game at 2-2.

"One of the things I challenged my girls to do is to play everything and give everything on the field and leave the result up to God," said Ellison coach Bryan Charlton. "I asked my girls at half time if that was the best they could do and they said 'We can do better coach' and I said. 'OK let's go show them.'"

In overtime, neither team converted.

Both teams missed on two corner kicks and both teams failed to take advantage of one-on-one chances with the goalkeeper.

"It happens sometimes. It is high stress and high pressure of the last few seconds," Streckel said. "We had a lot of opportunities in the first half to score a bunch more goals and we just didn't settle down enough to put a quality touch on the ball."

Boys fall to Ellison

Ryan Stuckey scored two goals and Garrett Strickland added another with six minutes left to send host Ellison over Copperas Cove 3-1 on Monday.

Stuckey scored an unassisted goal for the Eagles (5-12-3, 3-7 12-5A) in the 10th minute for a 1-0 lead at halftime and then scored five minutes into the second half on a Strickland assist.

The Bulldawgs (2-11-1, 1-8) cut the lead to 2-1 in the 65th minute, but Strickland's goal in the 74th minute reclaimed a two-goal lead for Ellison, which plays Harker Heights on Friday at Leo Buckley Stadium at 8 p.m.

Contact Nick Talbot at or (254) 501-7569.Find more sports coverage at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.