Following a weeklong process, the Killeen Independent School District selected Mansfield defensive coordinator Jerry Edwards as the next head football coach and athletic coordinator at Harker Heights High School.
Edwards, 34, replaces Mike Mullins, who resigned June 18 after four years with the Knights to accept an assistant coaching position with defending 3A champion Navasota.
Edwards was chosen from six candidates interviewed Wednesday and Friday.
“The family of Harker Heights High School is thrilled to welcome coach Jerry Edwards and we look forward to his contributions to the continuing success of the Harker Heights Knights,” said David Manley, Harker Heights High principal. “We are excited by his energy and passion for student success on and off the field.”
Also interviewed were former North Forest head coach and athletic director Plez Atkins, Round Rock Stony Point defensive coordinator Scott Stewart, Harker Heights offensive coordinator Rob Hagey, Harker Heights defensive coordinator Ty Oppermann and Killeen co-offensive coordinator Richard Daniels.
Edwards was one of three finalists for the Ellison opening in January that went to Trent Gregory, the former Leander Vandegrift offensive line coach.
He is the second straight head-football-coach hire with ties to the Mansfield Independent School District. Killeen ISD Deputy Superintendent John Craft, who spearheaded the hirings at Ellison and Heights, was a principal at Mansfield Timberview from July 2008 to March 2010.
The interview committee was Craft, Manley, Superintendent Robert Muller, athletic director Tom Rogers, assistant athletic director Kim Wilson, executive director of student services Joseph Welch, chief personnel officer Steve Cook, executive director of secondary schools Robin Champagne and Harker Heights girls athletic coordinator Michelle Womack.
Edwards has been Mansfield’s defensive coordinator since 2008, with his defenses allowing an average of 27 points per game over that span, including an average of 23 points during the last two seasons, as the Tigers went 18-7. Edwards’ defenses finished among the top two in district in total yardage, points and rushing yards allowed in four of his five years with the program.
Harker Heights Football Coach Applicant List
33 total, 1 withdrew
*- hired; ^- interviewed
- ^Plez Atkins, former athletic coordinator/head football coach at Houston North Forest
- John Baker, former athletic director/head football coach at Floresville
- Nelson Barnes, defensive coordinator at Port Arthur Memorial
- Samuel Bell, defensive coordinator/DL coach at Arlington Sam Houston
- Emanuel Brown, defensive coordinator at Henderson
- Blake Bryant, offensive line coach at Austin Westlake
- Gerald Cole, offensive coordinator at Pasadena Memorial
- Lonnie Cook, owner of Cook’s Custom Furniture, former head coach at Taos (N.M) and Holy Trinity
- Bryan Crews, defensive backs coach at Manor
- Jared Cruddas, assistant coach at Harker Heights/head girls soccer coach
- ^Richard Daniels, co-offensive coordinator at Killeen
- *Jerry Edwards, defensive coordinator at Mansfield
- Randy Franklin, co-offensive coordinator at Round Rock
- Joshua Gibson, offensive coordinator at Frisco
- Lovest Griffin, athletic director/head coach at Hamilton (Miss.)
- ^Rob Hagey, Harker Heights offensive coordinator
- Michael Haynes, assistant principal at Sue Crouch High School
- Keith Hendrix, defensive coordinator at Marble Falls
- Carl Klann, former head coach/athletic coordinator at McCollum
- Jose Martinez, Team Express sales agent, former AD/HC at Fabens
- Chip Mayfield, assistant coach at Poth
- William Middleton, assistant coach at Dodge City Community College
- ^Ty Oppermann, defensive coordinator at Harker Heights
- Greg Porter, assistant coach at Copperas Cove
- Chad Satcher, head coach/athletic coordinator at Buckholts
- Jeffrey Schaum, head coach at Warner (Fla.) University
- ^Scott Stewart, defensive coordinator at Stony Point
- Robert Terrasas, offensive assistant at Pearland
- Christopher Tincher, head football coach at West Hills (Calif.) College
- Juan Torres, former head coach at 5A South San Antonio
- Jason Wheeler, defensive coordinator at Hidalgo
- Barry Walker, defensive/offensive coordinator at SA East Central
- Adrian Woodson, assistant head coach at Elgin
Contact Alex Byington at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254) 501-7566