The Salado Lady Eagles and Florence Lady Buffs both had the best seasons in the history of their respective programs in 2014.
On Monday, 14 different members of those teams were honored with District 22-2A all-district superlatives and first- and second-team selections.
“That’s a good showing for us,” Salado head coach Kory Craddick said. “The girls worked really hard and to have seven on the team was pretty impressive.”
Seven Salado players were honored after the Lady Eagles went 32-9, finished second in the district and made a run to the Region III-2A finals.
Seven Lady Buffs made it to the team after Florence finished 12-15, won the district’s fourth-place tiebreaker and made it to the playoffs for the first time in school history.
“I’m just extremely excited for them,” Lady Buffs head coach Brett Gola said. “They worked very hard and all of their accolades are well deserved.”
The Lady Eagles had two superlatives as senior Shyenne Hicks was named co-defensive player of the tear and sophomore infielder Malory Schattle won the offensive player of the year honor.
“Shyenne is a girl that just played wherever we needed her to,” Craddick said. “She played third base, first base and pitched. Whatever she had to do to help the team win, that’s her ultimate goal.”
Hicks split the award with Rogers catcher Sara Rolston.
Schattle was the No. 3 hitter in the Lady Eagles lineup and Craddick said she had a tendency to set the tone from the plate.
“She had a lot of big hits for us that got us rolling in games that kept us moving and she was a big part of our success hitting-wise,” Craddick said.
Gola was named co-coach of the year after leading the team to a historic playoff appearance. The Lady Buffs went 0-19 in 2012 and 6-16 in 2013.
Gola split the honor with Little River-Academy’s Gus Beuershaus and Rogers’ Kristi Waits.
“I was kind of shocked,” Gola said about the award. “It’s a testament to the way our kids played.
“Just to be mentioned with Gus and Kristi is really saying a lot and I was truly honored by them nominating me for that award.”
Salado senior Morgan Hill and Florence freshman Emily Gray were named first-team pitchers.
Gray went 3-5 last year with a 2.85 ERA and struck out 97 batters in 61 1/3 innings. She allowed two hits and struck out eight batters in five innings of work to help Florence beat Lexington 10-0 in the fourth-place district tiebreaker.
Florence sophomore Mackenzie Futrell was a first-team infielder after hitting .400 with 20 RBIs and 14 extra-base hits.
Salado seniors Regan Best and Josie Norman were named to the first-team outfield.
Florence’s only senior, Samantha Vaughan was named to the first-team outfield after hitting .312 with 11 RBIs.
Lady Buffs sophomore catcher Courtney Culp made the second team after hitting .357 with 18 RBIs, stealing five bases and amassing a team-best .975 fielding percentage.
Salado junior infielder CeCe Cantu was a second-team infield selection.
Florence sophomore Clarissa Carranco was also a second-team infielder after hitting .329 with seven RBIs and accumulating a team-best .438 on-base percentage while scoring 14 runs.
Lady Eagles junior outfielder Kristen Oakes made the second team.
Lady Buffs freshman outfielder Madison Hill was a second-team selection after hitting .357 with eight RBIs and 14 runs.
Salado’s Meagan Hill and Jenna Calder also garnered honorable mention on the all-district team.
ALL-DISTRICT 22-2A TEAM
- District MVP—Mercedes Covey, Sr, P, Rogers
- Defensive Player of the Year—Sara Ralston, Sr, C, Rogers; Shyenne Hicks, Sr, P, Salado
- Offensive Player of the Year—Malory Schattle, So, SS, Salado
- Utility Player of the Year—Meghann Wrinkle, Sr, P/3rd, Lexington
- DP of the Year—Emily Rice, So, Rogers
- Newcomer of the Year—Kennedy Jiminez, Fr, SS, Academy
- Coaches of the Year—Gus Beuershaus, Academy; Brett Gola, Florence; Kristi Waits, Rogers
- Pitchers—Amber Wooley, Sr, P, Academy; Emily Gray, Fr, P, Florence; Morgan Hill, Sr, P, Salado
- Catchers—Kayla Kelso, Sr, C, Academy; Melanie Scantlin, So, C, Lexington
- Infielders— Kelsey Sprinkles, Sr, 1st Base, Academy; Sloan Springfield, Jr, 1st Base, Cameron Yoe; Gabby Valdez, Jr, 3rd Base, Cameron Yoe; Mackenzie Futrell, So, Florence; Taylor Lagrone, Sr, Lexington; Bailey Reynolds, Jr, Lexington; Allison Kennedy, So, Rogers; Rachel Trevino, So, Rogers; Brittany Hoff, Fr, Rogers; Keandria Taylor, Sr, Rosebud-Lott; Teandria Taylor, Sr, Rosebud-Lott
- Outfielders—Gabby Hay, Fr, Academy; Jordan Myers, Fr, Cameron Yoe; Samantha Vaughn, Sr, Florence; Camri Faulkenberry, Sr, Rogers; Cacie Jackson, Sr, Rosebud-Lott; Regan Best, Sr, Salado; Josie Norman, Sr, Salado.
- Pitchers—Shelby Nash, Sr, Jarrell; Megan Davis, Jr, Rosebud-Lott
- Catchers—Ashley Glaser, Sr, Cameron Yoe; Courtney Culp, So, Florence; Ciara Hernandez, So, Jarrell
- Infielders—Destini Hulsey, Fr, Academy; Avery McDaniel, Fr, Academy; Clarissa Carranco, So, Florence; Kennedy Cottle, Fr, Jarrell; Madison Bexley, Sr, Lexington; Madison Malcik, So, Rogers; Brittany Coker, Jr, Rosebud-Lott; CeCe Cantu, Jr, Salado
- Outfielders—Lenzi Stewart, Fr, Academy; Bailee Tucker, Jr, Cameron Yoe; Madison Hill, Fr, Florence; Mikaela Rountree, So, Jarrell; Ariana Enciso, Fr, Jarrell; Courtney Strain, Fr, Lexington; Anysia Jones, Fr, Rosebud-Lott; Stormie Hebert, Jr, Rogers; Christina Brenek, Sr, Rogers; Kristen Oakes, Jr, Salado
Contact Albert Alvarado at firstname.lastname@example.org