At the Killeen ISD softball tournament, Salado went 3-0 in the gold bracket Saturday to capture the tournament championship.
After going 4-1 in pool play, the 10th-ranked Lady Eagles defeated Harker Heights 6-1 in the first round of bracket play before topping China Spring 5-1 and Taylor 4-1 to grab the crown Saturday.
Salado head coach Kory Craddick said the young Lady Eagles grew up right before his very eyes over the weekend.
“Our younger kids were really able to step up and come through today,” Craddick. “They got some key hits at some key times, and we were able to turn some one-run innings into two- or three-run innings. They also really stepped up in the field by making some solid plays and playing pretty good defense.”
Junior hurler Bailey Tindell finished the weekend 6-0 with an ERA of 0.93 and 24 strikeouts in 26 innings pitched.
Gatesville lost to Bastrop 9-1 in the silver bracket final. Killeen finished third.
- Waco Midway JV 7, Florence 2
- Taylor 10, Waco Connally 1
- Salado 6, Harker Heights 1
- China Spring 2, Waco University 0
- Taylor 5, Midway JV 2
- Salado 5, China Spring 1
- Salado 4, Taylor 1
- Killeen 4, Burnet 2
- Bastrop 11, Georgetown Gateway 1
- Gatesville 13, Round Rock McNeil 12
- Ellison 3, Shoemaker 0
- Bastrop 7, Killeen 2
- Gatesville 4, Eliison 1
- Bastrop 9, Gatesville 1
- Austin McCallum 9, Ellison JV 4
- Waco La Vega 8, Waco High 6
- Pflugerville Connally 6, Harker Heights JV 4
- Leander Glenn 11, Palestine 4
- McCallum 8, La Vega 1
- Glenn 10, Pflugerville 7
- McCallum 8, Glenn 6