Renard Thomas’ buzzer-beating 3-pointer was about the only thing that went right for the Shoemaker Grey Wolves.

Outrebounded, outhustled and outplayed for nearly 36 minutes, Thomas’ running 3 at the end of overtime bounced up off the front of the rim and dropped lazily through the net giving the Grey Wolves’ a 62-60 overtime win against visiting Round Rock Stony Point.

“Stony Point deserved to win. They out-played us the entire game,” Shoemaker coach Marc Minatrea said. “I have no idea how we won; I can probably watch the film and still have no idea how we won. ... We got the win, to me, it’s meaningless — it’s a nondistrict game and you play non-district and tournament games to get better; I thought we had starters that got worse tonight.”

Thomas hit a free throw with 26 seconds left in overtime that pulled the Grey Wolves (12-3) within 60-59, following an intentional foul. Wes Moore then missed a free throw for Stony Point (4-13) with five seconds left. The miss was rebounded by Shoemaker and quickly passed to Thomas for the final shot.

“Coach told me to push it and I got it as far as I could up the court. I looked at the clock and I just let it go,” Thomas said of the shot. “It hit the rim and went in.”

Torenzo Saunders hit two free throws with six seconds left to tie the game at 52 and blocked Terrance Artis’ layup on defense to send the game into overtime. Thomas led the Grey Wolves with 21 points and Saunders finished with 10. Patrick Mark hit two 3s in the second half and finished with 12 points off the bench for Shoemaker. The Grey Wolves’ bench had 19 points and 12 of the team’s 32 rebounds.

Artis scored 16 for Stony Point. Grant Gullett led the Tigers with 18. Stony Point outrebounded Shoemaker 40-32 and the Grey Wolves turned the ball over 13 times, including four times in the fourth quarter with a 45-40 lead.

Shoemaker trailed 18-8 in the second quarter but tied the game at 21 going into halftime and took a 39-37 lead into the fourth following a buzzer-beating 3 by Mark at the end of the third.

Paris Yerry made a pair of free throws for Shoemaker’s 5-point lead with 5:54 left in the fourth. The Tigers then scored eight unanswered to take a 48-45 lead on Gullett’s fastbreak layup with 3:31 to go. The Grey Wolves turned the ball over four times and were 0-for-5 from the floor without a single offensive rebound during the Tigers’ run. Thomas hit a pair of free throws to pull the Grey Wolves’ out of their slump and Mark hit his second 3 of the half to tie the game at 50. Gullett and Artis each went 1-for-2 at the free throw line to give the Tigers a 52-50 lead with 21 seconds left before Saunders went 2-for-2 to sent the game into the extra period.

“We never played well all night,” Minatrea said. “It was a struggle, but I think we played hard. I think we made a ton of mistakes, we shot poorly, but somehow our bench guys just played hard enough and willed us to a victory. And then we got very lucky when Renard hit that shot at the buzzer.”

Contact Kevin Posival at or (254) 501-7562

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.