Despite the fears of another round of sequestration looming, two Fort Hood units said they are still on target for rotations at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif., in early 2014.
Last month, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Raymond Odierno surprised people when he said the Army only has two brigade combat teams trained and ready for combat operations. If sequestration continues, the general said he will focus 2014 training dollars to get seven brigades ready, he told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Nov. 7.
Combat training centers are one of the key ways the Army validates units, and seven rotations to the National Training Center were canceled because of budget constraints in fiscal year 2013.
“Usually, it’s a force of about 5,000 to 8,000 men and women who go there, who get a chance to train and really get certified in the kind of operations that we think they might have to deploy and do, so we weren’t able to do that,” Odierno said.
Both the 3rd Cavalry Regiment and 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, said they are still scheduled to visit the center in early 2014, even though neither officially announced a deployment.
Rose L. Thayer is the military editor for the Killeen Daily Herald. She joined the paper in February 2011 as a health and military reporter. View her complete profile Here. You can contact Rose L. Thayer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254) 501-7463. Follow her on Twitter at KDHmilitary.