• December 21, 2014

Hasan trial begins

Jury selection starts; answers to pretrial questionnaire get six dismissed

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related YouTube Video

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:30 am | Updated: 2:13 pm, Thu Jan 23, 2014.

FORT HOOD — Jury selection for the capital murder trial of Maj. Nidal Hasan began Tuesday, bringing to an end a phase of the case plagued by repeated stops and starts.

The seating of a jury could take weeks to complete. The prosecution and defense are allowed to question each potential juror individually before offering any challenges.

Twenty officers from across the United States were questioned as a group Tuesday, starting the trial more than 3½ years after Hasan allegedly killed 13 and wounded 32 during a shooting rampage on post.

The court dismissed six jurors based on their answers to a pretrial questionnaire, including an officer who knew one of the victims and had close ties to the Soldier Resource Processing Center where the mass shooting occurred.

Hasan asked no questions of the group, which consisted of 12 colonels, five lieutenant colonels and three majors, and showed no resistance to the removal of the six jurors challenged by the prosecution.

Hasan will have the opportunity to question the remaining panel members individually today.

However, whether Hasan makes any challenges or asks any questions remains up in the air. Toward the end of Tuesday’s hearings, he told the judge that panel selection should occur at a faster rate than the judge anticipates.

Additionally, Hasan’s jury selection consultant, Jeffrey Frederick, was not present in the courtroom Tuesday.

Prior to jury selection, Hasan asked the court to instruct the panel members that the Army has forced him to wear a military uniform while in court.

“I don’t take any pride in wearing this uniform,” he told the court. “I think it represents an enemy of Islam.”

Hasan also announced he would not retain former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark as long as the presiding judge, Col. Tara Osborn, refuses to allow him to present his “defense of thirds” strategy.

Osborn reiterated her ruling, and Hasan notified the court he would then proceed acting as his own attorney.

“The court’s ruling is the defense of others fails as a matter of law,” Osborn said.

Hasan has long sought to frame the mass shooting on post as an act that prevented the deaths of Taliban fighters and the group’s leadership in Afghanistan, according to his former defense attorney.

The major then changed his mind, abandoning the defense in hopes of being able to plead guilty to all charges after members of the Muslim community reached out to him, telling him he broke his military oath and went against Islam when he admittedly opened fire on soldiers and civilians on Nov. 5, 2009.

Military rules prevented Hasan from pleading guilty to any charges, as he originally wished to do last summer.

Hasan has since returned to his original belief. He told the court last week that he has not violated his oath to the Army because the war in Afghanistan is illegal.

With his defense strategy neutered, Hasan’s former defense attorney John Galligan said Hasan’s presence in the Fort Hood courtroom now is nothing more than to act as a “prop.”

Jury selection resumes at 9 a.m. today. Testimony is scheduled to begin Aug. 6.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

2 comments:

  • Mamma Griz posted at 7:52 am on Wed, Jul 10, 2013.

    Mamma Griz Posts: 259

    They forced him to wear a uniform in court? Why do that when they let him grow a beard. The beard is against military regulations, so why not let him go all the way in defying military regulations. And I hope he has to pay the government back for the education and training that he received. I'll be so glad when it is over and they hang him high-- that is old Texas justice.

     
  • armywife88 posted at 1:50 pm on Tue, Jul 9, 2013.

    armywife88 Posts: 4

    Refusing to wear the military uniform is just another way to get this thing delayed. Personally he doesnt deserve to wear the military uniform. He is a disgrace to the U.S. military and the people of the U.S. He has already admitted his guilt so why the trial? Just execute him already. Things in the justice sytem need to change. Too many criminals who have too many rights! I cant even understand why anyone in their right mind would come forward to help him represent his case. People who want to defend him are either looking for plublicity or they are against the U.S! Which one is it? I am tired of people stating "things are not right down there at Fort Hood". This guy killed 13 people on post and admits it and then tries to defend himself saying he was defending the Taliban!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me????????With him being U.S. military, that is TREASON! Penalty for treason is death.