FORT HOOD — The 1st Cavalry Division's 4th Brigade Combat Team will inactivate Thursday, the division announced today.
Maj. Gen. Anthony Ierardi, division commander will preside over the 9 a.m. ceremony at Cooper Field.
“Fourth Brigade Combat Team just recently redeployed, so the time to take action on that is now,” Ierardi told the Herald last month. "I’m confident we’ll be able to do it and continue the mission to support soldiers and their families.”
During the ceremony, the brigade’s headquarters element will case its colors after eight years and four deployments. It is expected the six battalions operating under Long Knife will be redistributed into other brigades in the division as needed.
The Army announced in June the inactivation of the “Long Knife” Brigade along with nine other brigade combat teams Army-wide as part of the Budget Control Act of 2011. The 33 remaining brigades will be restructured through fiscal year 2017 to include elements removed during the last 10 years of war to make them more rapidly deployable, the announcement stated.
As the remaining brigades are restructured, units outside the division will also undergo changes, Ierardi said.
“In order for us to make the brigade combat teams that have an engineer battalion, we’re going to take some units from the other units on post,” Ierardi said. “It’s not just the Cav. The reorganization will touch a lot of units here on Fort Hood.”
To read more on the Army's restructuring and its impact on Fort Hood, click here.
Rose L. Thayer is the military editor for the Killeen Daily Herald. She joined the paper in February 2011 as a health and military reporter. View her complete profile Here. You can contact Rose L. Thayer at email@example.com or (254) 501-7463. Follow her on Twitter at KDHmilitary.