In the pottery studio towards the back of Temple's Cultural Activities Center, master potter Larry Matthews leads his workshop students through the process of "throwing and firing."
"It's called turnin' and burnin' on the east coast," the 60-something instructor says, describing the steps he's teaching this weekday morning. He's talking about shaping raw clay on a revolving turntable into a graceful bowl, waiting a suitable time for the piece to dry and then cooking it in a kiln at over 2,000 degrees. Glazing is added to some of his students' creations and the shelves are filled with colorful clay concoctions.
Another class starts Aug. 8 at the Killeen Lions Club Park Senior Center.
Video by Herald correspondent Steve Pettit
As featured on
- 'Please remove this décor' post on Hobby Lobby’s Facebook page is getting a lot of attention
- Killeen woman who posted about Hobby Lobby cotton speaks out
- KKK fliers circulated through Killeen neighborhoods
- 1 dead after Killeen shooting
- KISD teacher charged with solicitation of a minor
- KPD identifies homicide victim in Tuesday shooting
- Auto-pedestrian accident in Killeen leaves 1 injured, causes delays
- Killeen police identify pedestrian struck and killed by car
- Killeen man arrested on assault charges
- Fathom president: 'We dropped the ball'
Middle school and high school students and parents are invited to the Killeen Independent School District’s first college and career night from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Killeen Civic and Conference Center.
The Celebrate Killeen Committee is hosting Holiday Under the Stars Dec. 1 and 2 and the 55th annual Christmas Parade Dec. 9. Applications are now open for participants in both events.
Killeen’s Youth Advisory Commission will host the 21st annual Youth Conference from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 30 at Killeen Community Center, 2201 E. Veterans Memorial Blvd. This marks the first year the event is open to the public. There is no fee to attend.
Veterans of Foreign Wars District 14 commander Lora Land, Post 9191, and VFW Auxiliary president JoJo Kilgore, Post 4008, will host a district meeting Saturday at VFW Post 3892 in Harker Heights.