• December 27, 2014

Two treated for burns in Saturday fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 4:30 am

Two residents who helped others escape a burning building were the worst of those injured during a fire this weekend.

The blaze was reported about 3:40 a.m. Saturday in a two-story building housing four units in the 100 block of West Dunn Avenue in Killeen, officials said.

“There were only two citizens that looked like they were going to be admitted and possibly transferred to the burn unit,” said Fire Chief Jerry Gardner said. “One of the residents had a pretty severe burn on his arm. One had a severe burn on his back and neck.”

On Sunday, Gardner said he visited a firefighter who was transported to the hospital after having difficulty breathing while assisting with the fire.

“He’s doing great,” he said.

The cause of the fire was accidental and originated in the kitchen due to unattended cooking, Gardner said. “One (resident) got home and decided they wanted something to eat and fell asleep.”

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.