COPPERAS COVE — Residents can cut their civil-service teeth by serving on one of the many board, council and committee spots that are open as the previous members’ terms expire.
- The city is accepting applications to fill one vacant position on the Copperas Cove Economic Development board. The purpose of the board “is to direct and coordinate the broad-based expansion of the city’s business tax base and promote sustainable job growth,” said city spokesman Kevin Keller. The board consists of five members who serve three-year terms with meetings held on the fourth Thursday of every month. The application deadline is July 3.
- The city also has two open spots on its Parks and Recreation Board. The seven-member board makes recommendations to city staff and city council members on various topics and projects pertaining to the city’s parks and recreational activities. The board also appoints an additional city council liaison. Each board member serves two-year terms. The application deadline is June 30.
- The city's Youth Advisory Council is accepting applications to fill 14 spots. The council, which consists of 20 youth members, an adult liaison and a city council liaison, exists to define ways to address specific youth issues, develop activities and programs, as well as advise city council and Copperas Cove Independent School District on issues. Council members and staff also attempt to educate youth on city government and the importance of civic participation during the process. Youth participants must be in grades 8-12 and in good academic standing in order to be eligible to participate. Adult liaisons must reside in Copperas Cove. Each member serves two-year terms, and the application deadline is June 30.
- The city also is seeking to fill one spot on its Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. 1 Board by June 13. The board consists of seven members serving two-year terms and consistently makes recommendations to the City Council regarding administration, project planning and financial planning in the tax zone.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission also is seeking to fill two positions by June 11. The commission is made up of seven members who serve three-year terms.The purpose of the group is to review and consider submitted site plans and plats, as well as make recommendations to the council on zoning ordinance amendments, Comprehensive Plan amendments, Specific Use permits and rezoning requests, Keller said.
- The Board of Adjustments also is trying to fill four positions by June 11. The board is made up of seven members — five active members and two alternates — appointed to two-year terms. The purpose of the board is to serve as an appeal body for residents seeking rezoning requests and variances.
Applications for all positions can be found at the city’s website, www.copperascovetx.gov, underneath the “Online Services” tab and then the “Forms and Applications” tab. They also can be picked up in person at 914 S. Main St., Suite E in Copperas Cove.
Contact Courtney Griffin at email@example.com or 254-501-7559