• October 30, 2014

Cleaning van, machinery burn outside Temple apartment

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, August 8, 2014 4:30 am

TEMPLE — A malfunction Wednesday evening in a carpet cleaning machine caused a Universal Cleaning Specialists’ van and machinery inside it to burn, according to a Temple Fire & Rescue news release.

The fire happened at the University Courtyard Apartments. The first Temple Fire & Rescue unit arrived at 6:23 p.m. after a 6:18 p.m. call.

The company employees working inside an apartment noticed the equipment was malfunctioning and went outside to check on it. When they did, the van was on fire. The apartment manager tried to extinguish the fire, but was unsuccessful.

As heavy smoke poured from the van, which was parked 20 feet to 25 feet from nearby apartments, the manager and a Temple College police officer told nearby residents to evacuate as a precaution.

No apartments or residents were endangered by the fire and there were no injuries, police said. However, the van and cleaning machine are a total loss. A damage estimate was not available Thursday.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Featured Events