BELTON — A Bell County grand jury Wednesday indicted a Killeen man who is accused of stealing more than $140,000 from the local Red Cross.
The jury indicted 25-year-old David Allen Gilg III on a charge of theft over $100,000 but less than $200,000, a second-degree felony carrying a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.
Gilg was a volunteer at the Killeen Red Cross office when the alleged thefts occurred, an arrest affidavit stated.
Gilg stole money by making fictitious disaster claims. The Red Cross would issue pre-paid debit cards for the amounts claimed, and Gilg would then take the money from the cards, First Assistant District Attorney Murff Bledsoe said.
A staff member of the Red Cross discovered the thefts in September when she realized one of the claims had been made to a fictitious address.
When confronted by police, Gilg admitted to stealing money from the nonprofit. He estimated he stole about $100,000 between January and September 2012.
Investigators have since found $143,486 in fraudulent claims made and approved by Gilg.
He has remained in Bell County Jail since his arrest on Oct. 9 with bail set at $120,000.
The grand jury also returned indictments against the following Wednesday:
- Trason James Taylor, 19, of Harker Heights, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Russell Orville Jenkins Jr., 43, of Austin, on two charges of theft over $1,500.
- Tracy Melissa Holland, 45, of Austin, on two charges of theft over $1,500.
- Jason Mundo, 32, of Killeen, on a charge of assault.
- Karla Moreno Flores, 31, of Killeen, on a charge of fraud.
- Lamichael Demonde Stinnett, 28, of Moody, on a charge of endangering a child.
- Vincent Marone Jefferies, 47, of Temple, on a charge of assault by strangulation.
- Darell Lynn Jones, 48, of Temple, on a charge of failure to register as a sex offender.
- Sonia Evette Fikes, 43, of Temple, on a charge of credit card abuse.
- Michael James Wheeler, 18, of Temple, on a charge of injury to a child.
- Carlos Juan Ramoslefevre, 23, of Killeen, on a charge of evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
- Sean Robert Howard, 42, of Copperas Cove, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, less than 1 gram.
- Aimee Amorea Jacobs, 25, of Killeen, on a count of theft over $1,500 and a count of burglary of a habitation.
- Deon Lashawn Clay, 21, of Killeen, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Cordell Ra’Shawn Jones, 17, of Killeen, on a charge of robbery with bodily injury.
- Demarcus Shawn Chatmon, 31, on a charge of robbery.
- Angela Denee Roberts, 31, of Temple, on a charge of driving while intoxicated third or more.