BELTON — A 17-year-old Killeen man charged with murder was indicted Wednesday and now faces additional charges.
The Bell County grand jury indicted Terry Grant “Red” Scott on a count of murder and attempted murder after being presented with evidence that Scott committed a triple shooting Jan. 2 that resulted in the death of a Fort Hood soldier.
Spc. Austin James Sampson, 25, of Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment, died two days after the shooting after remaining in critical condition at Scott & White Hospital in Temple.
Police issued a warrant for Scott’s arrest the next day and detained him Jan. 8 during a traffic stop.
Two other men were wounded when Scott allegedly opened fire on them as they sat in a car parked in front of the Star Mart in the 1700 block of Old Farm-to-Market 440, according to police and court documents.
Their injuries prompted the Bell County District Attorney’s office to seek further charges Wednesday.
First Assistant District Attorney Murff Bledsoe said the new charge could result in stacked sentences for Scott, should he be convicted.
However, Bledsoe said sentences would likely run concurrently.
Both the surviving victims identified Scott as the shooter from a photo lineup, an arrest affidavit stated.
Scott has remained in Bell County Jail since Jan. 9, with bail set at $1 million.
The grand jury also indicted another man on a murder charge Wednesday.
Darrell Wayne Parker, 42, of Little River, could face the death penalty for a capital murder charge.
Parker confessed to killing his mother and stepfather at their home near Moody on Jan. 10.
The following were indicted Wednesday by a Bell County grand jury:
- Louis Navarrette Garcia Jr., 35, of Temple, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, 1 gram or more.
- Michael Paul Cortez, 32, of Temple, on a charge of assault enhanced.
- Graylyn Stephen Hemphill, 49, of Temple, on a charge of failure to register as a sex offender.
- Colton Lane Lewis, 21, of Belton, on a charge of debit card abuse.
- Joseph Marice Chaney, 21, of Killeen, on a charge of assault by strangulation.
- Adrian D’Angelo Jackson, 27, of Killeen, on a charge of assault by strangulation.
- Anthony Charles Sajna, 17, of Killeen, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Michael Lee Hiebert, 23, of Killeen, on a charge of injury to a child.
- Ayana Cambre Johnson, 20, of Killeen, on a charge of assault on a public servant.
- Latisha Nicole Charity, 20, of Killeen, on a charge of harassment of a public servant.
- Ier Ashrad Davidson, 21, of Killeen, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, 28 grams or more.
- Jessica Lee Horne, 32, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of heroin, less than 1 gram.
- Angela Gayle Bennett, 30, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of heroin, less than 1 gram.
- Mark Anthony Hamilton, 32, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, less than 1 gram.
- David Deon Brown, 31, of Killeen, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver cocaine, 4 grams or more.
- Eric Weems Rogers, 28, of Killeen, on a charge of bail jumping and failure to appear.
- Curtis Lewis Jenkins, 56, of Temple, on a charge of theft enhanced.