BELTON — A Bell County grand jury indicted a 48-year-old Harker Heights man Wednesday who is accused of biting a police officer on his nose.
Daniel Honorato Masias could face up to 10 years in prison for allegedly pushing an officer into multiple parked cars and biting the officer on the bridge of his nose.
According to court documents, an officer observed a vehicle with a broken tail light April 24 he believed to have been involved in a burglary of a building.
The broken light initiated a traffic stop. When approached by police, the driver, later identified as Masias, gave the officer a false name and would not provide any identification, an arrest affidavit stated.
Masias attempted to flee on foot while the officer was placing him under arrest. The officer caught up with Masias after a brief foot pursuit. Masias then allegedly shoved the officer and threw him into multiple parked cars.
He then bit the officer on his nose while the officer was on the ground. Bystanders helped the officer gain control of Masias and arrest him, according to court records. An examination at Metroplex Hospital showed the assault caused a fragment of the officer’s knee bone to sheer off.
Court records showed Masias has been in and out of jail 14 times since he was arrested in Bell County more than 28 years ago on a charge of driving while intoxicated.
He has since been accused of sexual assault, robbery, drug possession, theft, evading arrest and numerous assaults. He remains in Bell County Jail with bail set at $100,000.
The grand jury also returned indictments against the following:
- Andrew Vincent Heater, 34, of Belton, on a charge of assault by strangulation.
- William Bradford Langham III, 25, of Temple, on a charge of possession of marijuana, 5 pounds or less.
- Miguel Hernandez, 25, of Temple, on a charge of possession of cocaine, less than 1 gram.
- Raymond Bernard Johnson, 31, of Bartlett, on a charge of driving while intoxicated with a child passenger.
- Bruce Stackhouse, 48, of Temple, on a charge of driving while intoxicated with a child passenger.
- David Oliver III, 39, of Killeen, on a charge of robbery with bodily injury.
- Truman Curtis Tart, 25, of Killeen, on a charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- Carrick Mondale Mango, 32, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, less than 1 gram.
- Dominique Espinosa, 27, of Fort Worth, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, 1 gram or more.
- Daryl Gene Johnson, 59, of Morgan’s Point, on a charge of driving while intoxicated, third or more.
- Shasta Natasha Cole, 28, of Killeen, on a charge of felony assault.