BELTON — A 35-year-old Harker Heights man previously charged with assaulting a child was indicted on attempted kidnapping charges Wednesday.
Anthony James Hill could now face life in prison if convicted of a count of attempted aggravated kidnapping. The Bell County grand jury indicted Hill on Wednesday, adding the kidnapping count to a charge of injury to a child.
The new charge stems from an alleged incident Dec. 23 near the intersection of 38th Street and East Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Killeen.
Police believe Hill grabbed an 11-year-old boy near the intersection, which caused the child pain, an arrest affidavit stated. The child managed to get away from Hill, and investigators later determined Hill was attempting to kidnap the boy, according to an indictment.
The aggravated kidnapping charge was upgraded to a first-degree felony because Hill has a previous conviction of indecency with a child by sexual contact.
In 2001, Hill was sentenced to eight years for grabbing a 9-year-old girl’s bottom at a playground in Harker Heights. He tried to convince the girl to go with him to a culvert, but the child ran away, court records stated.
Hill has remained in Bell County Jail since his arrest in January.
The grand jury also returned indictments against the following:
- Ricky Lanier Greene Jr., 26, of Copperas Cove, on a charge of possession of marijuana, 5 pounds or less.
- Curtis Ray Hanshaw II, 33, of Temple, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, 1 gram or more.
- Daniel Denova, 17, of Temple, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Barton Dan Guthrie, 58, of Temple, on a charge of failure to comply with registration requirements.
- Elzie William Howard Sims III, 18, of Harker Heights, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Alex Xavier Wright, 19, of Harker Heights, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Colin Wayne Chagnon, 32, of Belton, on a charge of credit card abuse.
- David Antu Torres Jr., 27, of Belton, on a charge of evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
- Micayla Meshell Schott, 19, of Belton, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, 4 grams or more.
- Kaihlan Jair Cokes, 19, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, 1 gram or more.
- Valerie Otero, 28, of Fort Hood, on a charge of driving while intoxicated with a child passenger.
- Charles Raul Torres, 19, of Killeen, on a charge of evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
- Justin Patscheck Ellis, 24, of Killeen, on a charge of fraudulent use of identifying information.
- Arlene Sanchez Ullery, 40, of Pflugerville, on a charge of criminal mischief over $1,500.
- Rontrell Tromaine Jones, 36, of Temple, on a charge of driving while intoxicated, third or more.
- Katarra Charnay Holt, 34, of Killeen, on a charge of driving while intoxicated, third or more.
- Kristanae Daviette Wright, 23, of Temple, on a charge of burglary of a motor vehicle with two or more previous convictions.