TEMPLE — Bell County sheriff’s deputies identified a Killeen man as the alleged shooter in Thursday’s Belton officer-involved shooting at a home in the 2900 block Farm-to-Market 2410 Spur.

Karl Wiggins, 61, of Killeen, is suspected of shooting Edward Charles Hermann, 41, of Belton, in the forehead. Bell County spokesman Lt. Donnie Adams said Friday that Hermann, who was in stable condition at Scott & White Hospital in Temple, is the common-law husband of Wiggins’ sister.

Sheriff’s investigators on Friday presented the case to the district attorney’s office, which then issued the complaint against Wiggins for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Wiggins, who was shot by Belton police, was in custody at Scott & White Hospital on Friday, with his bail set at $100,000 by Justice of the Peace David Barfield.

Three Belton police officers, including a supervisor, responded to a 911 call at 9:06 p.m. Thursday and found Hermann with a gunshot wound. They learned the shooter was on the scene and still had the small-caliber handgun he used to shoot Hermann. When officers located Wiggins, he reportedly pointed the weapon in their direction after being told repeatedly to put it down.

Two Belton police officers fired multiple times at Wiggins and hit him twice. No officers were injured.

The officers, who have not been identified, are on paid administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation by the Texas Rangers, per protocol when officers are involved in a shooting. One officer has been with Belton Police Department for two years, while the other two have been with the department for 18 and 19 years, Belton Police Chief Gene Ellis said Thursday.

Wiggins has a lengthy criminal record, according to Department of Public Safety records. In addition to several arrests by the Killeen Police Department and convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol, Wiggins had a felony conviction in Bell County for burglary of a motor vehicle in 1979. He was sentenced to four years in prison.

Wiggins was arrested and convicted in 1991 for failure to stop and render aid and was sentenced to five years in prison, followed by a 1993 arrest and conviction for the first-degree felony of driving while intoxicated, third or more offense. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Wiggins was mandatorily released in March 2009 by the Pardon and Parole Board.

The investigation into Thursday’s shooting is ongoing.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.