BELTON — A Killeen man was indicted on a felony charge Wednesday in connection with the theft of thousands of dollars of merchandise, including guns, from a Killeen home in August.
A Bell County grand jury indicted Drake Florian Zimnak, 22, on a charge of burglary of a habitation, a second-degree felony.
The charge was filed against Zimnak in connection with a burglary that occurred at a residence in the 4500 block of Deer Drive in late August.
The victim said he was in the Army, and left the residence on Aug. 29 for 24-hour duty.
He returned Aug. 30 to find that the residence had been burglarized, according to an arrest affidavit.
Police observed signs of forced entry in at least one of the rooms. More than $2,750 in electronics, tools and firearms were taken from the residence, according to the Bell County District Attorney’s office.
Police reviewed video footage from a neighboring building, which revealed three men as possible suspects.
All three men, including Zimnak, were taken into custody after they contacted the victim and attempted to return the stolen items “so they would not get in trouble for the burglary,” the affidavit stated.
The Bell County District Attorney’s office confirmed Wednesday that a fingerprint found inside the residence also was matched to Zimnak.
Zimnak is in Bell County Jail on the burglary charge as well as several other charges, including assault with bodily injury, terroristic threats, resisting arrest and criminal trespassing, according to jail records.
His total bail for all charges is $144,500.
The grand jury also returned indictments against the following individuals on Wednesday:
• Shelia Vanzella Spates, 55, on a charge of forgery by making.
• Daquan Marquez McKinney, 28, of Killeen, on a charge of robbery with bodily injury.
• Michael Lou Cain, 40, of Killeen, on a charge of aggravated sexual assault.
• George Wayne Salter, 38, of Killeen, on a charge of aggravated sexual assault.
• Mario Dwayne McKenzie, 27, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, 4 grams or more.
• Chisolm McLintock Kelly, 22, of Killeen, on a charge of assault on a family/household member with previous conviction.
Contact Chris McGuinness at email@example.com or (254) 501-7568. Follow him on Twitter at ChrismKDH.