Killeen police have identified the people involved in a Saturday murder-suicide at a Killeen store. The shooting victim was identified as 27-year-old Samaka Rachel Powell, a clerk at the Valero store.
Her husband, 31-year-old Raymond Deshawn Davis, was identified as the shooter, according to the Killeen Police Department.
About 11:53 p.m. Saturday, police were dispatched to the Valero at 1000 West Stan Schlueter Loop in reference to a shooting, according to police spokeswoman Ofelia Miramontez.
Officers arrived to see the two already dead inside the store.
The investigation revealed Davis went into the store and had a brief argument with Powell, police said. He then shot her, then himself. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
A representative from Valero refused to discuss the incident in a phone call Monday.
Detectives with the Killeen Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division are asking anyone who may have additional information about this incident to contact Crime Stoppers at 254-526-8477 or online at www.bellcountycrimestoppers.com.
This case has similarities to another murder-suicide July 3, 2016, at a Dollar General in the 4100 block of Watercrest Road.
In that case, Erica Denise Townsend-Whitfield, 22, of Killeen was shot and killed by her estranged husband, 23-year-old Angelo Myshun Townsend-Whitfield, who was an active-duty Marine stationed in California.
Erica Townsend-Whitfield was an employee at the Dollar General in which she was killed.
Powell’s death marks the 18th homicide in Killeen this year, and the second in two weeks. There were 16 homicides in Killeen in 2016.
Other Killeen homicide cases this year are:
- Eric Dieter Hill, 34, was shot dead Jan. 11 and found in the driveway of a home on Taree Loop. No arrests have been made in the case.
- Less than a week later, on Jan. 16, Harry “Butch” Polite was shot and killed on Brownsville Drive at 6:18 p.m. There have been no arrests made in the case.
- Quinton Rashard Hill, 23, was shot and killed at 12:04 a.m. Feb. 21 in the 600 block of West Hallmark Avenue, outside the Bridgewater Apartments. There have been no arrests made in the case.
- William Petty, a security guard working at a Subway restaurant on Farm-to-Market 440, was shot and killed during a robbery attempt at 3:40 a.m. Feb. 26. One arrest was made but the woman was released after 48 hours without being charged.
- On Feb. 24, Justice of the Peace David Barfield pronounced 3-month-old James Kadetz dead at 3:35 p.m. at McLane Children’s Hospital in Temple. Zachary Kadetz, a Fort Hood soldier, was charged with intentionally injuring his son. Kadetz was in the Bell County Jail on $1 million bond. He is now out of jail.
- Daniel Scott Daulton, 23, was stabbed and killed during an argument with his father, Danny Lee Daulton, at their mobile home on East Rancier Avenue. Danny Lee Daulton was indicted on a murder charge by a Bell County grand jury April 26. He is currently in Bell County Jail.
- Rocky Wayne Marsh, a 38-year-old who was once a cook at Outback Steakhouse, was beaten to death and robbed in the 1200 block of Bundrant Drive on March 7. James Pinkard, 21; Shamar Lamar Lewis, 17; and Erica Brownlee, 18; were arrested in connection with the death.
- On April 17, Justin Lewis was found in an empty lot on West Avenue C with a gunshot wound. Lewis, a Fort Hood soldier, was pronounced dead at 12:34 a.m.
- Travis James Granger, 29, was shot and killed May 9 behind the 7-Eleven in the 1200 block of South Fort Hood Street. Bell County Justice of the Peace Bill Cooke later arraigned Keith Louis Marinnie Jr., 27, on a murder charge in connection with the shooting and assigned a $1 million bond.
- John Seth Jr., 80, was shot and killed May 30. His neighbor, Santiago Vasquez, was arrested and charged with murder.
- Daniel Magee, 29, was shot and killed the morning of July 15 in the 2300 block of Wales Circle. There have been no arrests in the case.
- Raven Seymen Fisher, 23, was shot and killed after an altercation in which police said she pulled a gun on a man July 25. This is not being investigated as a murder.
- Brandi Jo Cadena, 28, was found dead with a gunshot wound in her home Aug. 19.
- Glenroy Joseph Smith, 34, was shot and killed in an early morning drive-by shooting in the 5300 block of Allegany Drive in west Killeen on Aug. 25.
- Pierre Andre Keupp, of Killeen, 27, was shot and killed about 3:30 a.m. Sept. 19 in the 2800 block of Montague County Drive.
- Stephen M. Rowe, 39, of California, was found Sept. 28 by a mail carrier in the road with a gunshot wound in the 700 block of Reese Creek Road.
- Curtis Shelley, 27, was killed Nov. 12 in the 1000 block of Cedar Drive. The shooter was a neighbor whom he had an ongoing dispute with, police said, and the relative of a Killeen Police Department employee.