BELTON — A Harker Heights man is facing felony charges after investigators said he allowed people to withdraw cash and buy illegal items using their Lone Star food assistance cards at a local convenience store.
Mohammad A. Qureshi, 63, was indicted by a Bell County grand jury Wednesday on two counts of food stamp fraud, which state investigators said occurred at the Killeen Food Mart on Lake Road in north Killeen this year.
According to an arrest affidavit, an agent with the Texas Department of Public Safety reported in April that redemptions to the store via the Lone Star Electronic Benefit program jumped from $3,500 per month to $11,000 per month.
In May, an agent entered the store, and asked to get cash along with a purchase using the Lone Star food assistance card.
Qureshi reportedly charged her $100 on the card, and gave her the $50 cash.
The agent went back into the store the next day, and was able to use the card to get $100 in cash.
Records showed Qureshi charged the card for more than $212 for that transaction.
On May 22, the agent entered the store a third time.
This time she presented Qureshi with two Lone Star cards, and was able to withdraw $150 in cash on one, and $100 from the other.
Qureshi charged the two cards for $229.75 and $199 respectively, according to the arrest affidavit.
Food stamp fraud is a third-degree felony, according to the Texas Penal Code, and carries a possible sentence of up to 10 years in prison.
Jail records showed Qureshi was released from Bell County Jail on Aug. 9 on $15,000 bond.
The following individuals were also indicted by the grand jury Wednesday:
- Jeffrey Lee Norris, 29, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, less than 1 gram.
- Lane Andrew Pickle, 28, of Killeen, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Alexis Jacklynn Riddle, 18, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, less than 1 gram.
- Katrina Eldoramae Hoffman, 22, of Killeen, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, 4 grams or more.
- Travis Lee Leighton, 27, of Nixon, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, 4 grams or more, repeat offender.
- Ebony Monai Joyner, 23, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, 4 grams or more.
- Howard Hawthorne, 49, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, 4 grams or more.
- Mary Grace Foley, 25, of Kempner on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, 1 gram or more.
- Kevin Leroy Davis Jr., 29, of Killeen, on a charge of continuous violence against a family member.
- Dadrian Lee Moore, 22, of Arlington, on a charge of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon.
- Ryan Cade English, 23, of Jacksboro, on a charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, repeat offender.
- Ronald Lamont Harris, 36, of Killeen, on a charge of assault on a family/household member with previous conviction.
- Krystal Marie Manis, 28, of Copperas Cove, on a charge of driving while intoxicated, third or more offense.
- Davell Cantrell Foster, 25, of Killeen, on a charge of driving while intoxicated, third or more offense.
Contact Chris McGuinness at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254) 501-7568. Follow him on Twitter at ChrismKDH.