A Bell County grand jury indicted a 38-year-old Temple man Wednesday on felony charges for allegedly throwing feces at a guard in Bell County Jail.
Ruben Dee Freemen was in the county jail on a charge of assault on a public servant for allegedly punching a Temple police officer in the face July 29, an affidavit stated.
On Aug. 26, a jail guard saw that Freeman had smeared feces on the walls of his cell.
The guard told Freeman that he needed to exit his cell, and warned Freeman of what criminal consequences he would face if he threw feces at guards, First Assistant District Attorney Murff Bledsoe said.
Despite the warnings, Freeman grabbed feces in his cell’s toilet and threw them at several guards, the affidavit stated.
Freeman’s charge was upgraded to a second-degree felony because of a previous conviction on a 2001 charge of assault on a public servant.
He could face two to 20 years in prison if found guilty.
Freeman also has a history of mental illness.
He was found incompetent to stand trial for two felony charges and was committed to a mental hospital.
The charges, including the 2001 assault charge, were later reinstated and Freeman pleaded guilty.
In a letter to the court in 2011, Freeman stated that police needed to remove Ku Klux Klansmen from the Frank Mayborn Center in Temple, or else “I’m going to make hands and feet fall off.”
He also stated he was tired of hearing voices in his head from the KKK.
The grand jury also returned indictments against the following on Wednesday:
- Hollie Marie Stolp, 29, of Temple, on a charge of arson.
- Ronald Kelvin Johnson, 23, of Harker Heights, on a charge of theft of a firearm.
- Victoria Renee Allison, 22, of Temple, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, less than 1 gram.
- Marcus Terrell Davis, 22, of Fort Hood, on a charge of possession of marijuana, 5 pounds or less.
- Samantha Jane Jones, 25, of Arlington, on a charge of possession of a controlled substance, 4 grams or more.
- Christopher Pedro Ortiz, 35, of Temple, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, 4 grams or more.
- Jennifer Denise Cabral, 39, of Temple, on a charge of possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, 4 grams or more.
- Debra Kay Boyd, 55, of Belton, on a charge of forgery by making.
- Ricky Terrell Turner, 30, of Temple, on a charge of evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
- Gerald Patrick Walton Jr., 22, of Killeen, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- Justin Smith-Washington, 28, of Copperas Cove, on a charge of possession of cocaine, less than 1 gram.
- Jeremy Randall Ezell, 24, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, 1 gram or more.
- Roberto Thomas Graciani, 24, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, 1 gram or more.
- Jason Demond Ford, 38, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, 1 gram or more.
Contact Philip Jankowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254) 501-7553. Follow him on Twitter at KDHcrime.