UPDATE: 10:24 a.m. More than 14 adults and children utilized the temporary shelter set up at the Killeen Community Center Wednesday night, according to Hillary Shine, spokesperson for the city.

“There was fear, but there was more generosity in the air last night,” Shine said.

Bristel Bowen, American Red Cross spokesperson, said they came prepared with supplies and staff to spend the night. Community residents came out to the shelter with food and water to those awaiting to return to their homes on Fort Hood.

The lock down was lifted at about 9 p.m.

Thirty minutes before a gunman opened fire at Fort Hood on Wednesday afternoon, Brandy Morrison was at the 1st Medical Brigade building, where the shooting began.

“I got goosebumps when I found out where it happened; I was just right there 30 minutes before,” she said. “I’m still shaking. It’s a weird feeling. When I was there, it was quiet and calm.”

Morrison was one of several seeking shelter at the Killeen Community Center on Wednesday night after being locked off post.

“I left post when I left (the medical building) and while I was at the stoplight on Fort Hood Street, I checked my phone and saw on Facebook that there was an active shooter on post,” she said. “My first thought was, ‘Oh my gosh, this isn’t happening.’ Then I called my husband to make sure he was OK.”

Morrison, who lives in Fort Hood’s Walker Village, said she tried to get back on post, but when she pulled up to the gate it was already on lockdown.

The city of Killeen and the Red Cross opened a shelter Wednesday night for people who couldn’t get on post before the lockdown was lifted about 9 p.m.

Deb MacDonald, Red Cross disaster action team captain, said she along with volunteers at the community center have been through classes to train in handling different types of disasters.

Meycelle Miller, a student at Killeen High School, said she was at school when the shooting happened and the post was put on lockdown with both her parents still on post.

“I really didn’t know exactly how to feel when I found out,” she said. “I still don’t really know how to feel about it.”

Nora Johnson had left post to pick up her son Kevin from school. She said she found out about the shooting when he told her about it.

“I was at school when my dad texted me saying Fort Hood had been shut down,” Kevin said. “I didn’t get too worried because I had heard from my family.”

Nora Johnson said she was just thankful to have been off post before it was put on lockdown so she could pick her kids up from school.

Christen Kent was at the shelter with her infant daughter waiting for the all-clear to be given so she could return home.

“My husband called me and told me about it,” she said.

“He was scared that something happened to us, and he told us to stay inside, but we were already off post. I just started crying. It’s really hard not being able to go home.”

Kent said the shooting “makes me want to move off post.”

“This is the second time this has happened here,” she said. “It’s hard to believe it happened once. No one ever expects this to happen again.”

nstewart@kdhnews.com | 254-501-7555

Contact Natalie Stewart at nstewart@kdhnews.com or 254-501-7555

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.