A 28-year-old man surrendered to Killeen police and SWAT officers after a standoff at a local apartment complex Monday.

The standoff began about 10:50 a.m., when police were called to the Summerlyn apartments in the 4100 block of East Rancier Avenue. A report had been made of a man who was threatening to kill himself, and possibly making threats toward another person.

Initial police scanner reports indicated the man was armed with a machete and possibly a handgun.

After police arrived, the man refused to come out of his second-floor apartment. The Killeen Police Department’s tactical response unit was called to the scene at 11:11 a.m., according to department spokeswoman Carroll Smith.

Police evacuated some residents in nearby apartments while they negotiated with the suspect, who was going in and out of his apartment on a balcony.

The standoff ended around 12:30 p.m. when the man, who police did not name, surrendered.

“We were able to get him to come out on his own,” Smith said.

According to Smith, police did recover a machete at the scene. Police did not believe a gun was involved.

After investigating the incident, police said the man only made threats to harm himself, and did not threaten to harm anyone else.

No charges were filed, and the man was transported to Scott & White Hospital in Temple for a medical evaluation.

A resident of a nearby apartment said the man had been drinking heavily for the past two days.

Smith could not confirm if the man was drunk when he surrendered to police.

Apparently this was not the first time police had contact with the man. Smith said police spoke to him previously in relation to threats of suicide.

A Summerlyn resident who asked not to be named said she was surprised to see a police standoff in the complex, which she described as usually quiet.

“We actually have two police officers, and an Animal Control officer, who live here,” she said.

Monday marked the second standoff between Killeen police and a barricaded suspect this month.

On April 15, Shawn Michael Walker, 29, was taken into custody after a five-hour standoff with police at a home on Sunset Drive.

Walker refused to come out of the home when Killeen police and another law enforcement agency attempted to serve him with multiple felony warrants. He surrendered after police and SWAT used chemical munitions to flush him out of the home.

Walker is currently in Bell County Jail without bond on two felony charges, according to jail records.

Contact Chris McGuinness at chrism@kdhnews.com or (254) 501-7568. Follow him on Twitter at ChrismKDH.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.