BELTON — A Bell County grand jury Wednesday indicted a 27-year-old Killeen man accused of shooting a man to death last month on a murder charge.
Charges will move forward against Cliffton Savid Montague, who has remained in custody at Bell County Jail since Oct. 18.
Montague is accused of killing Laterrance Deshawn Newsome inside an apartment in the 3200 block of Hereford Lane in Killeen.
Several witnesses heard Montague talk about shooting Newsome right after the shooting occurred. Police identified Montague as the suspect soon after the shooting; however, it took police about a week to apprehend him.
He was found staying in a hotel near downtown Killeen.
Court documents state police found Newsome dead Oct. 11 from multiple gunshot wounds to his chest inside an apartment. The shooting may have resulted from an altercation between Newsome and Montague a month before the homicide.
One of the witnesses told police the two had gotten into a physical fight. After the fight ended, Montague threatened Newsome with a handgun.
On the night of the shooting, Newsome went to Montague’s home along with another man.
Two residents of the apartment where the shooting occurred told police they could hear Montague and Newsome yelling. They stated Newsome and the other man were attempting to calm Montague down. They both then heard several gunshots.
Two women at a neighboring apartment told police they heard five or six shots. About two minutes later, they saw Montague run out of his house.
Montague ran up to the women and said he had just shot a man, an arrest affidavit stated. He then went inside their home and washed his hands. He then ran out the back door.
Montague was previously convicted of robbery in Norfolk, Va., in 2005, his indictment stated.
The grand jury also returned indictments against the following:
- Mingo Mungia III, 28, of Belton, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
- John Kevin Sancedio, 18, of Temple, on a charge of sexual assault.
- Tyler Noland, 18, of Troy, on a charge of burglary of a habitation with intent to commit theft.
- Devin Wesley Costine, 28, of Temple, on a charge of evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
- Meagan Alison Gutierrez, 26, of Temple, on a charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- Jorge Benitz, 30, of Temple, on a charge of attempting to take a weapon from a peace officer.
- Kasee Kolette King, 37, of Temple, on a charge of possession of methamphetamine, less than 1 gram.
- Cameron Devance Armstrong, 27, of Dallas, on a charge of possession of cocaine, less than 1 gram.
- Raymond Rance McKee, 53, of Bell County, on a charge of possession of marijuana, 5 pounds or less.
- Rogelio Baraza Rios, 33, of Killeen, on a charge of evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
- Brian Vincent Robinson, 28, of Killeen, on a charge of possession of cocaine, less than 1 gram.
- Anthony Dewayne Lee, 36, of Killeen, on a charge of theft over $1,500.
- Angela Gayle Bennett, 29, of Killeen, on a charge of theft over $1,500.
- Marcus Robinson, 18, of Killeen, on a charge of attempted burglary of a habitation.
- Milton Peoples Jr., 17, of Killeen, on a charge of attempted burglary of a habitation.
- Michael Khalil Bright, 19, of Killeen, on a charge of attempted burglary of a habitation.
- Christopher Wesley Blevins, 35, of Belton, on a charge of prohibited weapons.