By Philip Jankowski

Killeen Daily Herald

BELTON - A 14-year-old boy charged in the death of a 19-month-old girl went before a judge Wednesday and was ordered to remain in detention at the Bell County Juvenile Detention Center in Killeen.

The teenager's name has not been released because of privacy laws protecting minors.

Several members of the teen's family attended the brief hearing in Judge Edward Johnson's County Court 1.

The teenager went before Johnson, who read his charge, injury to a child. The 14-year-old boy then was remanded to custody.

County Attorney Richard Miller said his office is considering seeking a more serious charge.

Few details surrounding the death of Janyha Christine Graves have been released. The suspect was baby-sitting Graves and two other children, ages 4 and 7, Monday night. The boy contacted a neighbor, who notified police of a situation.

Graves was airlifted to Scott & White Hospital in Temple, where she died Tuesday.

Justice of the Peace David Barfield has ordered an autopsy.

At the Bell County Courthouse Wednesday, the family of the accused teenager met privately with his attorney, Scott Stevens, after the hearing. Two employees from Child Protective Services were on hand to question the family.

Stevens said the teenager will appear in court again in about two weeks for another detention hearing.

Texas law requires a judge to reorder a juvenile's detention every 10 days. Minors accused of crimes aren't allowed bail.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.