COPPERAS COVE — Two men were arraigned on charges of attempting to burglarize Cove Smoke Shack early Tuesday morning.
Justice of the Peace Bill Price arraigned Jordan Cullison Ross Burnette and Matthew Alexander Nesman on Tuesday on a charge of burglary of a building. Price set their bonds at $5,000 each.
Around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, two officers were dispatched to Cove Smoke Shack at 314 E. Avenue D in response to a burglary alarm. A man was seen behind the building, and an officer detained him at gunpoint. The officer noted that the drive-thru window of the tobacco store had been broken.
The officer noticed the suspect, who identified himself as Nesman, to be wearing a sweatshirt turned inside out so only the dark lining was visible.
Nesman reportedly said “It’s not what it looks like, officer,” according to the complaint. However, the officer noticed small pieces of glass on Nesman’s jacket and arrested him, according to the arraignment.
According to Burnette’s written statement on the incident, he claimed the window had been broken accidentally when he threw a wrench, but Nesman admitted that he and Burnette were trying to break into the building to steal Spice, a synthetic form of marijuana, and money.
Price also arraigned:
- Jeremey Roland Emmitt, on a charge of possession of a controlled substance, less than 1 gram. His bond was set at $5,000.
- Robert Larell Palacio, on a charge of possession of a controlled substance, less than one gram. His bond was set at $5,000.
- Amanda Renee Hawn, on a charge of assault causing bodily injury. Her bond was set at $5,000.
- Danny Osborn, on a charge of endangering a child. His bond was set at $8,000.
- Ervin Harris Jr., on a charge of tampering with evidence. His bond was set at $8,000.
Contact Audrey Spencer at email@example.com or (254) 501-7476