The Killeen Alumni Association, a program of the Killeen Education Foundation, will recognize six former Killeen Independent School District students who made significant contributions to their communities at the eighth annual Distinguished Awards Ceremony this week.
The 2014 Distinguished Alumni and Scholarship Reception is at 5 p.m. Thursday at the James Anderson Student Center at Central Texas College.
The distinguished alumni program provides an opportunity to highlight individuals who succeeded, in part, due to the education they received in Killeen ISD.
Recipients must have graduated from a Killeen ISD high school and made a strong impact in their field or work or a significant difference in their community by serving as a role model to future students.
This year’s honorees include:
- Dr. Mark Adickes, former NFL Super Bowl player, and current orthopedic surgeon. Graduated from Killeen High School in 1979.
- Annie Roe Buckley, former Killeen ISD teacher and community leader. Graduated from Killeen High School in 1933.
- Wade Burton, DVM, Technical Services veterinarian. Graduated from Ellison High School in 1986.
- Retired Sgt. Maj. Scott Denson, instructor at U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy. Graduated from Ellison High School in 1985.
- Alex Gonzales, attorney and managing Sshareholder of Winstead PC in Austin. Graduated from Killeen High School in 1971.
- Jim Yeonopolus, president of Continental and International Campus at Central Texas College. Graduated from Killeen High School in 1963.
The Alumni Association also will award 21 scholarships totaling nearly $40,000. This year’s scholarship winners are:
- Alumni Association Scholarships: Andrew Loughran, Harker Heights High School; Nathan Diederich, Ellison High School; Vae Roberts, Killeen High School, and Mitchell Telles, Shoemaker High School.
- Central Texas College Scholarships: Jennifer Kenebrew, Shoemaker High School; Londae Brinson, Ellison High School; Alexis Cox, Harker Heights High School; Jamal Mosley, Killeen High School, and Johnattan Rivera-Rodriguez, Pathways Academy.
- Vicky Cooke Johnson Emerald Academic Scholarship: Erin Buckley, Ellison High School.
- Norma Gray Memorial Scholarship: Karlie Clark, Ellison High School.
- Hargus Family Scholarship: Sateevia Wade, Ellison High School.
- Jim & Nancy Hawkins Scholarship: Kyle Carruthers, Shoemaker High School.
- James K. Hubert Memorial Scholarship: Matthew Sluss, Harker Heights High School.
- Teresa Young Memorial Scholarship/Exchange Club of Killeen: Josiah Rivera, Killeen High School.
- The Chapman Scholarship: Denise Zamora, KISD Career Center.
- Cleaver Family Endowed Scholarship: Onecimo Mancilla, Killeen High School.
- John & Gladys Driver Endowed Scholarship: Itzel Perez-Mejia, Ellison High School.
- Harriet C. Jackson Endowed Scholarship: Kajal Bhakta, Ellison High School.
- Brad Pfiester Memorial Endowed Scholarship: Sarah Brown, Shoemaker High School.
- Gary and Helen Purser Family Endowed Scholarship: Davaishamon Jiles, KISD Career Center.
For more information or to make a nomination for the 2015 awards, call Joyce Hodson, director of the Killeen Education Foundation, at 254-336-0181.