Several events are planned ahead of the new school year, including school-supply drives and backpack giveaways.
- Northrop Grumman Corporation’s philanthropic effort aims to collect school supplies for needy children attending Cedar Valley, Peebles, Pershing Park and West Ward elementary schools and for Operation Homefront.
- School supplies purchased for Operation Homefront will go to the children of military families.
- Donations can be made online through Friday.
- Items needed include backpacks, pencils, spiral notebooks, rulers, crayons, pocket folders and more.
- Go to www.yougivegoods.com, click “Donate to a Drive,” then click the “Northrop Grumman Back to School Drive 2014.”
- Liberty Tax Service, 600 Indian Trail, Suite 201 in Harker Heights, will host a back-to-school backpack giveaway at 1 p.m. Friday.
- In addition, there will be food, drinks, music and fun. Students enrolled in the Killeen Independent School District’s Homeless Awareness and Response Program will receive backpacks stuffed with school supplies.
- Donations for the second annual 3 P’s: Supplies for Success are being accepted at AmeriStor Self Storage, 2010 E. Elms Road in Killeen across from the Shilo Inn.
- Supplies needed are backpacks, pens, pencils and paper.
- Donations accepted from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Friday.
- Back 2 School — Stay In School is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Killeen High School, 500 N. 38th St.
- Lunch is free. Backpacks are free while supplies last.
- Free haircuts by Yahweh Beauty Academy are from 8 to 10 a.m.
- There will be break-out sessions for grades pre-K to 12th grade, parent session and vendors.
- This event is hosted by the Killeen Adult Branch NAACP, the Masonic family and the National Pan Hellenic Council and AmeriStor Self Storage.
- Call 254-286-9211.
- The fourth annual School-Supply Giveaway in conjunction with a free food pantry begins at 9 a.m. Saturday at Open Arms Outreach, 413 Eighth St. in Killeen.
- Free haircuts will be offered for boys from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Free hair bows will be given out to girls.
- Free breakfast burritos will be served at no charge.
- The food pantry and school-supply giveaway will continue as long as supplies last.
- This ministry serves the community by providing emergency food, toiletry items, and financial assistance and counseling. It also operates an adult literacy program and offers free educational tutoring for school-age children.
- To volunteer or make a donation, go to www.OpenArmsOutreachInc.com, 254-291-7387, email OpenArmsOutreach.firstname.lastname@example.org or mail a donation to P.O. Box 10654, Killeen, TX 76547.
- An anti-bully class and self-defense workshop for children is Aug. 17 at American Shotokan Karate Academy, 3800 E. Stan Schlueter Loop, Suite 102, Killeen.
- Cost is $10 per child.
- Each participant will be required to fill out an Academy waiver form.
- This event is presented in conjunction with Goddess Armor Protection.
- Email email@example.com or call 888-926-9529.
- Metroplex Health System’s annual KidFest Health & Safety Fair is from 12:30 to 3:30 Aug. 17 at the Killeen Civic and Conference Center.
- Metroplex Hospital will provide free child immunizations and health screenings. More than 40 local companies and organizations will be on-hand providing free health and safety information to parents and offering interactive activities, door prizes, snacks and entertainment.
- Activities include giant bounce houses, face painting, coloring stations and games. KidFest is free to the public. Immunizations are based on eligibility and first-come, first-serve basis.
- Go to mplex.org or call 254-519-8200.
- Pre-K through college students will receive a 25-cent basic haircut during the “Old Days Price” special at OG’s School of Hair Design from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 19-22, and from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 23.
- College students must present ID. No appointment is required.
- OG’s School of Hair Design is at 2501 S. W.S. Young Drive, Suite 302, Killeen.
- Call 254-526-4339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Greater Killeen Free Clinic’s 20th anniversary celebration is set for Aug. 21. Block party in downtown Killeen is from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. There will be food and music.
- Metroplex Health System will conduct free health screenings and free children’s immunizations.
- Vendors may email email@example.com or call 254-618-4211.
- Compiled by Teresa Tankersley
Contact Teresa Tankersley at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254)501-7542â€‹