A $426 million bond proposal will go before the Killeen Independent School District board of trustees tonight.
Although the board might not vote on the bond issue at today’s meeting, it will receive the recommendation from members of the bond steering committee about projects to be included on the $426 million proposal.
The board must vote to approve the recommendation by Feb. 16 in order for the bond issue to appear on the May 5 municipal ballot.
Projects on the recommended bond issue:
• Renovations to bring existing campuses into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and address security/safety issues.
• A new high school to open for 2022-2023 school year.
• Consolidation of East Ward and West Ward elementary schools with construction of a new East Ward school.
• Consolidation of Pershing Park and Sugar Loaf elementary schools, with partial rezoning of Bellaire Elementary School, and construction of a new Pershing Park school.
• A new elementary school to open for 2022-2023 school year.
• Renovate and expand Clifton Park Elementary School, with partial rezoning of Bellaire Elementary School.
• Renovations to Killeen High School.
Other items on the KISD board’s agenda are reports on board member training for 2017-2018, and annual evaluation process for KISD Superintendent John Craft.
There will be a presentation of funds to the board by the KISD Education Foundation during the meeting.
The KISD board will vote whether to accept proposals from contractors which have been selected for a number of upcoming projects.
Contract proposals for the new elementary school to be built on Morganite Lane, with an estimated cost of $37.13 million, and the new middle school on Warriors Path, estimated to cost $54 million, are among the documents the board will review.
The cost of construction for these two schools will come from the district’s currently available funds.
Other contract proposals include those for heating and air conditioning and roofing consultants, and the Pershing Park Elementary School retaining wall renovation.
The board will vote to select the architect and engineering firms for the KISD Career Center expansion project.
According to the public notice, the KISD board meeting will begin at 4:30 p.m. at the administrative office, 200 N. W.S. Young Drive. The board adjourns immediately into closed session to discuss a parent grievance, reconvening at 6 p.m. for the open meeting.