After weeks of discussion, members of the Killeen Independent School District’s bond steering committee will present their recommendation for $426 million worth of projects to the KISD board of trustees at the meeting Tuesday evening.
The board must vote whether to move forward with the bond issue by a Feb. 16 deadline, in order for voters to consider the bond on the May 5, 2018 ballot.
Projects on the recommended bond issue:
- Renovations to bring existing campuses into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and address security/safety issues.
- A new high school to open for 2022-2023 school year.
- Consolidation of East Ward and West Ward elementary schools with construction of a new East Ward school.
- Consolidation of Pershing Park and Sugar Loaf elementary schools, with partial rezoning of Bellaire Elementary School, and construction of a new Pershing Park school.
- A new elementary school to open for 2022-2023 school year.
- Renovate and expand Clifton Park Elementary School, with partial rezoning of Bellaire Elementary School.
- Renovations to Killeen High School.
A review of comprehensive annual financial and compliance reports for the fiscal year that ended Aug. 31, 2017, will be presented to the board during the meeting.
The KISD board will also vote whether to accept proposals from contractors which have been selected for a number of upcoming projects.
Contract proposals for the new elementary school to be built on Morganite Lane, with an estimated cost of $37.13 million, and the new middle school on Warriors Path, estimated to cost $54 million, are among the documents the board will review.
The cost of construction for these two schools will come from the district’s currently available funds.
Other contract proposals include those for heating and air conditioning and roofing consultants, and the Pershing Park Elementary School retaining wall renovation.
The board will vote to select the architect and engineering firms for the KISD Career Center expansion project.
According to the public notice, the KISD board meeting will begin at 4:30 p.m. at the administrative office, 200 N. W.S. Young Drive.
The board adjourns immediately into closed session, reconvening at 6 p.m. for the open meeting.