• October 30, 2014

Harker Heights fire damages kitchen

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 12:00 pm

An unattended stove led to a fire at a Harker Heights home Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters managed to localize the fire to the kitchen, and the home was saved, according to a news release. The house in the 200 block of Lottie Lane sustained damage to kitchen cabinets, oven vents and the stove itself.

Police received a call of a fire at 3:19 p.m. Wednesday. Residents had evacuated the home prior to firefighters arriving.

Fire Chief Jack Collier said firefighters mounted a quick attack and extinguished the fire before it could cause extensive damage, isolating all damage to the kitchen.

The fire resulted in no injuries. In total, 14 firefighters responded.

Collier said unattended cooking is the leading cause of structure fires in the nation. Distractions while cooking can cause people to leave the kitchen, he said.

"If that happens, you have to turn off the burner," he said.

-Philip Jankowski

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Featured Events